Medicinal herb container garden

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am wanting to do a medicinal herb container garden this year. What plants do you use the most? I really looking for any advice before I buy the soil. Oh I do have a soil question, can I mix top soil and Miracle Grow to cut costs?

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Absolutely, I do it, cut it about 50/50. I refresh my flowerpots by dumping half of last years soil, add miracle soil, mix & plant!

MuranoFarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ninny said:
I am wanting to do a medicinal herb container garden this year. What plants do you use the most? I really looking for any advice before I buy the soil. Oh I do have a soil question, can I mix top soil and Miracle Grow to cut costs?
If you have a compost pile you can use that mixed with top soil. Should give you the same effect as the miracle grow without the chemicals.

I'm thinking of adding chamomile and lemon balm to my herb garden this year.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As far as plants goes, it really all depends on what types of things you plan on treating.

I grow mints, bee balms and lemon balm for teas. Yarrow, for its astringent properties and wound healing. Plantain (the weed, not the banana) for insect bite itch relief. Many of the culinary herbs can be used for medicinal purposes, too.

Medicinal Properties of Herbs

Medicinal Herb Chart

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mint, Lavender, Lemon Balm are my 3 major use medicinals...there are SOOOO many others, but those are the 3 i generally like to keep on hand at all times whenever possible and allow to pretyt much increase thier numbers. be warned mint needs a HUGE container and needs to be splt regularly, i wouldnt pot it with other herbs, i ended up divdiving my mint twice a year. Lemon Blam is another that wil grow crazy if allowed, i also lift and divide that regularly too, they will choke themselves to death in pots if not givne enough room and divided frequently, (theyll also choke anything planted with them in a pot) lavender is a little less agressive but worth its weight in gold.
Catnip is another i try to keep on hand (great as an insect repelant)

John_henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would recommend Tulsi, also known as holy basil. In India they use this for pretty much everything and call it krishna's herb. I don't know specific medicinal uses, but a good 'cure all'. It makes a very nice tea. I also love aloe and use it a lot, great for burns and the skin in general, plus it's easy to grow. I'd agree with MuranoFarms comments also, especially for medicinal herbs, personally I would want to keep any chemicals well away.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ninny said:
I am wanting to do a medicinal herb container garden this year. What plants do you use the most?
-- St. John's Wort
-- German chamomile
-- Feverfew
-- Echinacea
-- Ginseng
-- Plantago major

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
ninny said:
I am wanting to do a medicinal herb container garden this year. What plants do you use the most?
-- St. John's Wort
-- German chamomile
-- Feverfew
-- Echinacea
-- Ginseng
-- Plantago major
Where is the best place to buy plants?

Latest posts