Meet Pearl, New Horse

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have haunted the Kill Pen facebook sites forever, looking for a Tennessee Walker that slapped me sideways. I found her. I showed her to my husband and he already named her. I called the location and paid for her. We are going in the morning to pick her up.

She is VERY skinny and will need lots of TLC. She is 12 years old and 14.3 hands.

Pearl's color markings are called Sabino.

https://www.twhbea.com/color/sabino/?v=7516fd43adaa

http://www.horse-genetics.com/sabino-horses.html

Horse colors and markings can get real detailed, DNA testing and so forth. I am quite happy without DNA testing to tell me something that is already pretty plain. She may/may not be registered, there are no papers. Don't really care about that either. She will be for our enjoyment, not for breeding. I see no point in adding to the over population of horses, it is much easier to go get one than it is to breed, raise, train one.

upload_2018-11-5_13-59-26-png.29166

upload_2018-11-5_13-59-50-png.29167

I don't ask for much. I am not a shopper. What I want is chickens, sheep, horses and pigs. Horses are a dead loss, everything else I can at least reclaim some of the money spent. LOL With 2 old senior horses that I can no longer ride, I have been wanting another Tennessee Walker. I see them all the time on the kill sites. Most get purchased, the horses that don't sell, get shipped to Mexico for slaughter. This one just "spoke" to me and I considered it for several days before showing her to my husband. We talked it over, slept on it and decided to get her. My husband is awesome.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those are lovely markings! Congrats, happy to see her headed to a happy home. I don't know that we have kill pens here... not public anyway. I'd get myself into trouble. DH can't turn down a quarterhorse!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those are lovely markings! Congrats, happy to see her headed to a happy home. I don't know that we have kill pens here... not public anyway. I'd get myself into trouble. DH can't turn down a quarterhorse!
Oh, you have them. Or you have lots where the horses are gathered before shipping. If there are any auction barns in your state, there are horses that nobody wants, but the kill buyers do. Since horse slaughter was outlawed here in the USA by bleeding heart do-gooders, horses get a one way ride to Canada or Mexico. There are some damn fine horses that go to slaughter. I like it that the kill pens I watch put the better ones up for sale before shipping them out. Most are priced at under $1,000. We bought Pearl for $575, I call that a bargain. There is a need for horse slaughter. I wish we could bring it back to the USA where it might be more humane than shipping long distances.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hm I'll ask DH if I'm just missing something. I don't even know how many auction barns are here. We're awful close to Canada so I guess that would make sense. That's a good price, absolutely. I agree on horse slaughter. I'd never eat a horse but not fair to ship them, you're right on that.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You might not want to, oh Lordy, the unbelievable BEAUTIFUL QH's that show up on the kill sites. I like them too, but with crap knees and the little aches and pains that come from having a lot of fun getting to being my age, I want to glide along on a gaited horse. I sure have missed riding my TWH mare, she has COPD, sometimes can barely catch her breath. I'll keep her as long as she lasts, that day will come when she lays down or I have to lay her down.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pearl is quite lovely!! Sabino yes and maybe some overo in there. Not that it matters, LOL, as you want her for more than breeding. I like her!! Congrats.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is one lucky horse and you are a good person for giving her a chance to have a good life and be loved! I can't wait to see her fattened up and happy again. It's so sad about the kill pens, I eat meat, but I feel weird about horses going to slaughter. They are such amazing animals.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Loaded up.

6462b430-f88c-4c0e-8730-c0fa7ec28885-jpeg.29182

Pearl is in quarantine on the Pig Palace, now named the Horse Hotel. She has hay, water, shelter and a little moving around room. She hasn’t stopped eating hay yet.

eaa93e69-fbfe-4fa1-86b4-1e8be0b3618a-jpeg.29184

bb287984-8d93-41a6-b7c6-feec5a56f871-jpeg.29183

Pearl is going to get free feed hay and all the fresh water she wants. We got her a mineral salt block. This evening I will start giving her pellets, a cup or two, and increase it daily

Latest posts