MEMAW BEING CARRIED AWAY BY ROACHES HELP!!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Cassandra, weren't you worried about all those chemicals in your environment? Breathing them every day, being on your surfaces where you touch and live?
In a way. It was a calculated risk. I chose chemicals over roaches. As far as I can tell, there is no difference in our health or quality of life now vs. when we were living in the apartment and spraying on a regular basis. Over the course of my life, I try to be aware of toxins and reduce my exposure overall. Knowing that I can never eliminate exposure altogether, I feel like I have to pick and choose sometimes.

Just in relation to this thread, though, if Memaw convinces her landlord to treat the problem, it's definitely going to be toxic chemicals.

I have had a couple of my tenants tell me that they keep borax in their cabinets and behind their appliances, etc. They swear by it for keeping the raoches away. This might be a less toxic option to try. But it never worked very well for me.

Cassandra

cackleberries

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So far all i have been able to get out of the LL is it was treated prior to move in and that its up to the Housing authority or state whom ever to decide if there goin to treat again. Im more then sure EVERYONE of those nasty apartments have them. I wish she wasnt so proud and would move in with us. Clean and safe no BUGS.
Thx for all the advice
michelle

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good read, dac! I will try that should I ever need to again (heaven forbid.) Since moving out to the country, I have had spiders, centipedes, mysterious worms, lizards, grasshopper, horse flies, wasps, bees, mice, rats and snakes.

But nary a cockroach. LOL

Cassandra

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dac as I was reading this post I was thinking about the boric acid mix my husband use to make mixng equal parts of boric acid and either flour or sugar. He would then put the mixture in jar lids uunder the stove and fridge or other places the kids or dogs could not get into. We used that along with Bengal and got rid of roaches in an apartment in New Orleans.

pdsavage

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i swear by those tubes of Combat bait same stuff Cassandra was talking about.Great stuff along with bombing realy helps get rid of those nasty nasty things....

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Many years ago my sister and her husband moved into a new apartment with their infant.
They realized shortly after that the place was infested with roaches, like the time my sister go up in the middle of the night to get the baby a bottle and when she opened the frig there was a roach sitting on the nipple.
They complained incessantly to no avail.
They moved out and when they did they had to take every single item they owned and put it in a big uhaul truck and then bomb everything so they wouldn't contaminate the new place.
They took their landlord to court, during the hearing when the judge asked my brother in law to explain his side he walked up to the judges bench and put down a bait trap box full of roaches in front of the judge.
The judge ordered the landlord to pay them back ALL of their rent and the cost of the renting the uhaul and spraying.
The judge said that the landlord had to have known he had roaches in that complex and the fact that they had been complaining since day one and he didn't do anything about it made him liable.
I don't know if the laws are different here or they had a sensible judge but I would complain and document everything, every complaint and conversation she has with the landlord and what he has done( if anything) to rectify the situation.
In the meantime any of those all natural remedies are worth a try, and have her save every reciept for all the items she has to purchase.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
cackle said:
Dac as I was reading this post I was thinking about the boric acid mix my husband use to make mixng equal parts of boric acid and either flour or sugar. He would then put the mixture in jar lids uunder the stove and fridge or other places the kids or dogs could not get into. We used that along with Bengal and got rid of roaches in an apartment in New Orleans.
This is what I have been using and have only spotted one or two since starting a few months ago. I got it at the dollar store and squirted it in the corners and behind all appliances.

turney31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
although I havent tried it I have heard that you can put lids with COKE in them. Don't know the reasoning,but they say it works!