MEMAW BEING CARRIED AWAY BY ROACHES HELP!!

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had a friend in Dallas that moved into a house that had been bombed clean. Once the old eggs hatched she was living in an ocean of bugs. Her husband had a buddy (an exterminator) that recomended this for several manner of gross bug...
DE (diatomatious earth) as it cuts the outsides up like glass even though it feels like powder to us. Just put it around all the edges of the counters and such for awhile. Take a paint brush and dust it behind the plates of the light plugs and switches.
Boric Acid mixed with some pancake dough and cooked (so it doesn't mold) and placed as bait will kill them from the inside.
and vaccum vaccum vaccum... that will get up carcass and egg cases, it will also grab up baby and slow roaches. It takes some time but it will clean them out of the house without the chemicals.
I have used it with great success in an apartment. I think it is supposed to also work for ants and some forms of spiders. Anything with an exoskeleton I suppose.

estpr13

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I don't like to be exposed to nerve poisons. So once when I was living in an effeciency apartment, the whole building was infested in roaches. I took six tubes of cauking to caulk every opening in the kitchenette, bath, closet, and living quarters. I mean every crack along the baseboard. the sinks and electrical outlets including the over the sink light fixture with a one inch hole with the electrical cord sticking through. Once I had all the openings cauked I put Boric Acid all along the Baseboards, under and behind the stove and refridgerator, and in roach high traffic areas. It took a few weeks but I got rid of them.

Boric Acid is harmless unless you get it wet then it is an acid. Like Pepsi only a bit stronger. It is used in small amounts to adjust the ph in eye ointments. It does not harm the cockroaches until they eat it off their legs when they get back to the nest. Then it combines with their stomach jucies and burns them up from the inside.

When the managment company came by to do a bi-yearly spray they would not believe me when I told them I didn't have any roaches. They inspected and agreed with me and sprayed anyway.

If you don't eleminate the source of the cockroaches you will be reinfested no matter what you do. Usually there is a "chase" between the apartments where they run all the HVAC and plumming lines and it never is accessable to be sprayed and it is ususally infested because it is warm and moist.

Good luck in getting rid of them.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
In grad school, I and many of my fellow students lived in places with serious roach problems. As long as it was more or less a detached house (i.e. you could treat the whole thing, rather than it being just an apartment or half a duplex), we had really good results with RoachPruf. It is mostly just boric acid -- I am somehow under the belief it also has some sort of attractant but am not sure.

Regular borax did NOT seem to work, it was much too coarse. I suppose if you had a way to finely powderize it, like flour, it *might*. But we mostly just stuck with RoachPruf.

The deal was to put A LOT of it around just before, or when, you moved in. Like lots and lots everywhere, every conceivable crevice and in and out and over and so forth. Then after a day or two, vacuum up the egregious extra from areas where it'd interfere with your life.

I cleaned up several places this way, and lots of other people did too.

Unfortunately in an apartment building or half a duplex it sort of helped, depending how bad the building's infestation was, but certainly did not make a huge dent in the population. I don't believe it is in any way possible to really get rid of, or strongly control, roaches in just one unit of a seriously infested building, unfortunately.

Good luck, roaches are horrible,

Pat, never been the same since one of the big palmetto bug ones dropped off the ceiling unexpectedly into her breakfast cereal just as I was taking a spoonful. Bleah.

Reaction score
We lived in 2 apartments and they had roaches. They weren't low rent either. The management sprayed often but every time someone new would move in the roaches they brought along would invade. We didn't get roach free till we rented a house. We had Orkin do the place. They had us sign a 1 year contract for monthly spraying but we had no insects at all. We had kids and pets and they lived. May have affected the kids brains. They do some pretty stupid stuff sometimes.

mamakate

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
In some apartment complexes they use insecticidal caulk. I once bought a house with a severe infestation and fought them for years. I called an exterminator and he sprayed and sprayed. It made a dent but they kept coming back. Then my dog got fleas into the carpet. I bagged all the dishes, clothes and toys. Then I set off flea bombs from the vet's office; one each in the house, crawlspace and attic. I lived there 9 years and never saw another roach. Oh- about the sanitation thing. Good sanitation will reduce the population but roaches can live on plain water and they eat each other. They can also repruduce even without a male and female. They can change sexuality as needed.

Gay Renee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ugh!! Nothing worse than a roach. I bought a trailer one time that was infested, and I used the bombs every week for three weeks, and then I put boric acid mixed with powdered sugar out in little paper cupcake papers. The roaches that were left ate it, died and the other roaches ate the dead one and they died . . .they are really hard to get rid of, but I just got the bombs at DG for $5 and they did the trick. This was after I paid the bug guy $145 to do it, and I think they drank it, because it sure didn't kill them!!! Be sure to cover food or put everything you can in the fridge if you do bomb, open cabinet doors so they can get some of it too . . .its work, but I hope it will help.:(

cackleberries

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
We lived in 2 apartments and they had roaches. They weren't low rent either. The management sprayed often but every time someone new would move in the roaches they brought along would invade. We didn't get roach free till we rented a house. We had Orkin do the place. They had us sign a 1 year contract for monthly spraying but we had no insects at all. We had kids and pets and they lived. May have affected the kids brains. They do some pretty stupid stuff sometimes.
Funny Post lol
Mine do stupid stuff without Orkin :lol: :lol: :p

***UPDATE***UPDATE***

ROACHES HAVE RELEASED MEMAW thanks to all your help the roaches have either retreated or died and memaw can drink here prune juice minus the crunchy stuff.

For all who care the COMBAT GEL was the cheapest and best along with Boric Acid behind appliances so her doggies wouldn't get it. There hasnt been a bug in sight for at least 2 weeks. THXS AGAIN

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have lived the nightmare!

When we moved into this old house we were not alone. The little beggers were residing in our old house and traveling to the trashy house next door for snacks!

After years of commercial exterminators, boric acid, foggers, bombs, releasing anoles and yes even tearing out the walls we had a miracle.

Combat Gold - a peanut butter like paste in a tube applied under shelves and cabinets and in inconspicuous places. (We had pets and kids)

Years later - still roach free!

cwc362

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I also over the years have had more luck with the combat Gel. It seems like it works better and for some reason you don't have a lot of dead roaches laying around. I don't know if they crawl back in the wall or not but when i have used it - I haven't seen any dead roaches - or live one either!!

Wayne
n
Tennessee