Menus for Frugality

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tortoise, I was unaware of how your life has progressed. You have overcome major difficulties! I grew up upper middle class, including marriage #1. After I had gained a bit of weight (about 20#s that didn't come off after the baby) he told me that if I was fat he wouldn't love me. Silly me, my thought was "How can that be? I'm still the same person!" and I think at least part of my continuing weight gain was an attempt to prove it. Alas, he Meant it, and found someone else (skinny) to replace me. When I married again, DH(current) proved that love doesn't need money (or skinny beauty!) and I've been happier with him these last 37 years than I was for the first half of my life, even though we have lived most of our lives below the so-called poverty line. The overeating did cause diabetes, but I've been controlling it for 15 years with diet (and a half-pill of Metformin which I hope I will be able to wean off)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Tortoise, I was unaware of how your life has progressed. You have overcome major difficulties! I grew up upper middle class, including marriage #1. After I had gained a bit of weight (about 20#s that didn't come off after the baby) he told me that if I was fat he wouldn't love me. Silly me, my thought was "How can that be? I'm still the same person!" and I think at least part of my continuing weight gain was an attempt to prove it. Alas, he Meant it, and found someone else (skinny) to replace me. When I married again, DH(current) proved that love doesn't need money (or skinny beauty!) and I've been happier with him these last 37 years than I was for the first half of my life, even though we have lived most of our lives below the so-called poverty line. The overeating did cause diabetes, but I've been controlling it for 15 years with diet (and a half-pill of Metformin which I hope I will be able to wean off)
it's a bit hard for me to comprehend as well. One of the reasons I'm so attached to this forum, y'all have been with me on that whole wild ride. 🥰

Congrats on finding love that loves you back 😍

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i'm going to see if i can get a little bump up in the temperature this summer. even a few degrees would help me a lot. we'll see how it goes. :)
Maybe just a degree or so at a time, over time, wouldn't be noticed? She'd acclimate without realizing it.

I know this year I did this with heat, wearing more layers and I did acclimate some. I hate cold, so I've even impressed myself :lol: but when cold, just had to get warm!!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe just a degree or so at a time, over time, wouldn't be noticed? She'd acclimate without realizing it.

that used to be my normal plan for the summer. she notices it more now and she knows what degrees things are at so she gets stuck on wanting it at a certain temperature when the humidity changes a lot and it is more tolerable at a higher temperature. i pay attention to how things feel, she goes by hard numbers. :) we're funny.

I know this year I did this with heat, wearing more layers and I did acclimate some. I hate cold, so I've even impressed myself :lol: but when cold, just had to get warm!!!

we normally have a few layers of clothes on and our hats too. i don't feel cold that often - feel the cold a lot more when we get the damp rains and higher humidity in the later spring or more winds. the house is pretty good compared to where it used to be - i've caulked a lot of cracks closed.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
back to menus for frugal living. today i had a few boiled eggs for brunch (one with hot sauce and one without) a few spoonfulls of whole milk yogurt and then we had nuked potatoes with some butter and a bit of sour cream. i told Mom that if she wanted to use the extra nuked potatoes for potato salad i'd not mind at all if she left the skins on. i'm not sure if that was a yes or no in response from her. i guess we'll see... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Cecilia's-life Give it a go! You'll be amazed at yourself. Really nice to have meat on hand AND just ready to heat and eat. We're all intimidated for first tries.

Hey, you just cooked twins with no experience! 🤭 Chicken in a jar is a piece cake. 🤣

slow cooker with low pressure and low heat. at least they had a rhythm section (heartbeat :) ).

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is what I'm fixing this week. I kinda theme out some days to make the choices narrow down a bit. Monday is meatless Wednesday is leftover night and Fridays are really hectic with picking up Joey that I do slow cooker meals on fridays