Mini Horses if you hate fish taste (I do too) leave out the nori. The "Fish"cakes are really just bean/veggie burgers.
My family loves bean/veggie burgers. I use whatever bean I have cooked. Usually pinto.
1. Drain and rinse the beans. I usually use a couple of cups, but then I have a large family.
2. Mash, not so much they are like refried beans. I like them a little chunky for texture.
3. 1/2 cup oatmeal
4. 1/2 cup masa (corn flour) or you could use regular flour. I just love the corny taste of masa.
5. Add some sauteed onion, carrot, peppers, garlic. Pretty much whatever you like.
6. Stir together with a fork and let set in the refrigerator a couple of hours or overnight. (can omit but it holds together better.
7. Fry or bake. I usually bake 350 for 20 minutes give or take a few minutes.
This is a truly frugal meal because I mostly use leftover beans and veggies and they cook up quick. Instead of oatmeal I will use rice if I have it in the frig. Sometimes I throw in some chia seed. I think they turn out better without egg. They can be froze but I usually throw my leftovers to the chickens.
The question I have is... how did they figure out that SOME mushrooms are safe to eat, but not all? If I was new to it all and I saw my buddy bite into a mushroom and die a horrible death, I certainly would never touch something mushroom shaped again!
And what about fugu?
Survivalists tell you to "test" unknowns with just a taste, if you don't get sick (or die) then, may be "ok" to eat.
Some things are known from past people testing If you think about it, most things "can" be an issue -- toxins form, leaves are good, stalks kill you, etc. Geesh, if we don't eat we know for sure we are goners.
I will take the challenge of raw milk ANY day....given the challenges of some other foods.