Meriruka's Tales - need advice on squash

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I had a kid in my class once whose parents owned an emu ranch...is that what it is called? Anyway, they would donate those beautiful, large, dark sea-blue eggs to our school's classrooms. (They would "blow" the egg out first.)

They also butchered them for meat. It resembled red meat from what I can remember. I never had any though. Aren't some cowboy boots made from emu leather? I know ostridge is often used, why not emu?

(That kid also brought lots of "egg" related lunches, such as omelettes and quiche. I think they said that one emu egg was equivilant to about a doz. chicken eggs.)

The more I think about it, owning emus sounds pretty cool!

eta: misspelled ostridge :rolleyes:

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I worked at a Veterinary Hospital in the country some years ago... after a storm one day, one our techs arrived to find a stray emu near our gate. Nobody ever claimed it and so the tech took it home with her. They are not particularly bright, so you have to have safe and secure fencing/shelter. Thier brains are about the size of a walnut. We kept this one in a horse stall until Marybeth finally took it home & we led it around around by putting a hula hoop around it's neck - it worked great. (btw, when MB did, transport it, she had to ride in the horse trailer with it in order to keep it calm).
I think they have the potential to lay not only very large eggs, but pretty too, with a kind of bumple-ie texture. I would think they could be sold for pretty good money should you be able to locate a buyer.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
A hula hoop around it's neck??? :lol: that is so funny!

I would love a big basket of those hand blown eggs for a display! They are so beautiful!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Seriously, emus sound like a good SS type of animal. You can eat their eggs, you can put the composted poo in your garden, you can eat them when they stop laying and then you can make some cowboy boots out of them. :p

:thumbsup

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do remember seeing/reading that they can be a pain to keep because they're so stupid. Apparently barbed-wire fence is dangerous for them, because if they spook, they'll flee at top speed and kill themselves on it.
I've never had them, though, so I could be wrong.
I hope you get them, meriruka, so I can live vicariously by reading about the little guys :lol:

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Occamstazer
Today 12:32 pm Gah, now I want some emus. You guys are such enablers.

Sneaks up on you doesn't it? First I'm thinking, "Oh. Emus. Cool."
Then you look them up and they look like a walking tiki hut. Then you read the funny stories (now including hula hoops) and then somebody posts this pic and it's all over but the fencing.
286_14651_horses_2004_winter_066.jpg