MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I'm a day late, but I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

As for the robins, we have them year round here. But, their diet changes in the winter. Instead of eating worms, etc they eat various grains, seeds, etc. And instead of seeing them all over, you'll mainly see them where there's farms and/or woods.
I am glad that you posted that - I wondered. Any idea a preferred grain or seed? I would like to help this flock out along there migration, if I am able. Maybe they will return next year. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Denim Deb said:
I'm a day late, but I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

As for the robins, we have them year round here. But, their diet changes in the winter. Instead of eating worms, etc they eat various grains, seeds, etc. And instead of seeing them all over, you'll mainly see them where there's farms and/or woods.
I am glad that you posted that - I wondered. Any idea a preferred grain or seed? I would like to help this flock out along there migration, if I am able. Maybe they will return next year. :)
I've never seen them come to any type of feeder. Don't know if anyone else has or not. And, I live next to the woods and will put out a variety of feeds.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Apparently Robins have been associated with Christmas (especially in the UK) for many centuries. Here is a bit of information I found about the tradition.

"The robin is an enduring Christmas image, often used on Christmas cards, or to decorate wrapping paper, even Christmas cakes.

The link between the Robin and the festive season probably comes from the folk tale that tells that when Jesus had been crucified and was dying, the Robin, which at that time was a plain brown in color, flew to his side and sang into his ear in order to ease his pain. The blood from Jesus's wounds stained the Robin's breast, and thereafter all Robins bore the mark of Christ's blood upon their little breasts.

Another folk tale suggests he obtained his distinctive coloring by flying into the stable where the baby Jesus lay. To prevent the baby being cold, he flew to the fire, beating his little wings to fan the flames, and in doing so scorched his little breast." full story

The stable story is the first one I heard. I am going to take my Christmas robins as a blessing and a sign of a happy year to come.

I hope you all had as nice a day as we did! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SNOW

yuck

we have about 4 inches on the ground and it is still snowing.

I told Tony I would never ever get another puppy in the winter. What a pain getting him outside....he disappears literally in 4 inches of snow.

snow stinks--I hate it. It is still snowing and they are thinking at least 1 more inch for me, maybe 2

I want 80 degrees and sunny and beautiful outside. Winter is just not for me. We had snow on Christmas day I think back in 1882???? haha just a guess but it sure doesn't happen here.

Now I will have to deal with 50 clothes changes and drying gloves etc for today....I know Nicole will want outside and that just means work for me lol

I think Big Jim is bringing his ATV over and pulling the kids on a sled at the farm today. At least we get them out and have some fun.

oh well....off to get some laundry done and other clean up things. House is a wreck as usual after Christmas.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
FarmerChick

Have you considered a litter box?

I have a friend with a tiny Yorkshire terrier that has him trained to a low litter box filled with wood pellet type stall filler. She says it is MUCH easier than taking those small dogs out all of the time. Just a thought.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow on that snow!

and you know at some point i'm gonna have to say that my dog poops bigger than that little one you got, right?

ha!

but i'm hearing you - we had to go running out this morning into the cold. i think the windchill was 14*.... but when the pup needs to go.. she needs to go.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
FarmerChick

Have you considered a litter box?

I have a friend with a tiny Yorkshire terrier that has him trained to a low litter box filled with wood pellet type stall filler. She says it is MUCH easier than taking those small dogs out all of the time. Just a thought.
a litter box? I just never thought of a litter box for a dog......hmmm...you got me thinking for sure.

I am going to PetSmart today (hubby wants to go to Sears and get Nicole some snow pants, last's year are too short on her legs) and I will hit PetSmart and ask them what is the best way to handle this problem...LOL

I never housetrained anything (except the kid)

come early spring I am going to shampoo all the carpets and this mutt better be on the housetrained side or it goes out for good. I can't literally can't stand it...lol.....I know, puppy right, gotta train it but my patience level is nil

ugh

OHIO---you got big poop happening...but let me tell ya tho :p little poop stinks just the same HA HA I use one paper towel to pick it up....you gotta use the whole roll :lol:

in general---mutts---they belong outside...WHY :barnie did I do this? I will ask myself this question for many years :he

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
There are these things called "puppy pads" or "piddle pads" that you can buy at like, Petsmart, that are for housetraining puppies to go in a particular spot indoors. They treat them with an attractant smell (no, they don't stink) and you can set them in a corner or in a litterbox you want to train the dog to use. They make clean up easier and while expensive, one bag might be worth it.
They are not very self sufficient but can be used as a temporary training tool. Some people use them forever. I personally train all dogs to go outside, but many people buy piddle pads especially for small dogs who might have too small a bladder for the amount of time the owner is gone.

PM me if you need housetraining tips, I have housetrained over 200 dogs, maybe more than 250, have not kept count of that.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I heard of those piddle pads

but I want it to go outside only really....I kinda don't want "anything" out of this dog in the house :lol: at any time :p

it is too fast for me.

it eats or drinks and BAM out the other end it comes....lol

or it sneaks off real fast and pees and I never even see it happen

:barnie

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Apparently Robins have been associated with Christmas (especially in the UK) for many centuries. Here is a bit of information I found about the tradition.

"The robin is an enduring Christmas image, often used on Christmas cards, or to decorate wrapping paper, even Christmas cakes.

The link between the Robin and the festive season probably comes from the folk tale that tells that when Jesus had been crucified and was dying, the Robin, which at that time was a plain brown in color, flew to his side and sang into his ear in order to ease his pain. The blood from Jesus's wounds stained the Robin's breast, and thereafter all Robins bore the mark of Christ's blood upon their little breasts.

Another folk tale suggests he obtained his distinctive coloring by flying into the stable where the baby Jesus lay. To prevent the baby being cold, he flew to the fire, beating his little wings to fan the flames, and in doing so scorched his little breast." full story

The stable story is the first one I heard. I am going to take my Christmas robins as a blessing and a sign of a happy year to come.

I hope you all had as nice a day as we did! :D
I like the stable story myself.