Messybun’s journal

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Might help to watch a youtube video - maybe a couple of them. Once you get it right at least once it gets easier! Have a holder and a sticker. Good luck!
X2.

Also.... do you have a razor? If you shave the area it will be easier for you to find a jugular.

I find it is easiest if I close my eyes... take a deep breath, and feel slowly and methodically until I find that squishy pulsing jugular.

As @frustratedearthmother said, a second person to hold makes it WAY easier.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
X2.

Also.... do you have a razor? If you shave the area it will be easier for you to find a jugular.

I find it is easiest if I close my eyes... take a deep breath, and feel slowly and methodically until I find that squishy pulsing jugular.

As @frustratedearthmother said, a second person to hold makes it WAY easier.
Yep, I’m trying to start a new fashion trend with my goats. The fashion statement of rectangle shave and blue patches should catch on any day. In fact, I’m kinda surprised you haven’t heard of it already lol. Thanks for the advice y’all. Because it’s the weekend the goats get a break until Monday because the lab isn’t open on Sunday.
On a happier note, I’m farmsitting and the dog is expecting puppies any time now. I thought I saw some contractions last night, but no babies so maybe just practice. She seems fine though, and her temp hadn’t dropped last I checked. We’ll see.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How is the farm sitting going for you?
Fantastically, and thank you for your advice!
It’s really nice to be able to earn a little cash or barter on the side(I will work for fence posts lol). It is the right season too; events out of town and summer vacation. This one is only for a few days. Which is perfect at the moment.

Still no puppies.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, a little kitten meandered its way to my yard. Malnourished and screaming. One of my big Muscovy drakes was trying to take care of it. I don’t know how I got such good boys, but I thank God. Who ever heard of a male duck trying to nurture a kitten? Now this little one is in the house getting fattened and tamed until someone wants her.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seems like it’s been a while since I posted here. :thHow are y’all doing?

So, kitten was super sweet and got a great home.
Goats don’t appear to have CL, the abscesses are clearing up and seemed to stay small. My mom thinks horse flies, they’ve been bad this year. Only the smallest goat really still has a few, but they aren’t bad. She also gets attacked most by the flies, so good correlation.
Orphan puppy I’m raising died this morning.
Goose is limping bad, I believe it’s bumble foot. His foot is hot, but I don’t see an external bumble yet. Gave him some ibuprofen and we’ll see.
My tsc batch of chicks are getting overly friendly so have to figure out something there.
Aside from those highlights, which I think I’m missing some, life is going pretty good. It’s supposed to be rainy all week, which I’m glad about. Rain in the night/morning means cooler days and good grass.