MetalSmitten! - my truant journal

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Abi is an awesome cook. That's how she cons me in to driving to Denver to see her! "I made curry. Coming to visit?" :gig

As for crafts, I can do VERY basic sewing...even more basic than abi :). Any patterns I use have to be A.D.D. Friendly.
My favorite craft is loom knitting. I make all kinds of crazy stuff with my looms. Strangely, I have zero ability to do traditional knitting despite some very talented people attempting to teach me.

I also do collage work, and I have done a little jewelry and have started to get in to resin casting.

foozc5.jpg

One of my sillier loom knitting projects.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Abi - okay, i can't sew or cook, so we'll come kidnap you when the apocalypse is nigh-er :D i can't even knit, i tried to make a scarf once and ended up with the world's most tubular potholder. give me fire, hammers, and metal, and i can beat that into submission just fine... give me cloth or foodstuffs and watch as i crumble mentally, hah.

Wife - OMG that octopus! hehe :D how on earth did you do that on a loom? amazing.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
Abi - okay, i can't sew or cook, so we'll come kidnap you when the apocalypse is nigh-er :D i can't even knit, i tried to make a scarf once and ended up with the world's most tubular potholder. give me fire, hammers, and metal, and i can beat that into submission just fine... give me cloth or foodstuffs and watch as i crumble mentally, hah.
lol Sounds good. I think I'm up for adoption in Feb.

Wife - OMG that octopus! hehe :D how on earth did you do that on a loom? amazing.
It's fruity-oaty .

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so we've got three (count 'em, THREE) broody hens at the moment, out of about a dozenish layers. the first momma hen hatched her bitties last week (8 out 10, not bad!) and they're doing wonderfully! they've already figured out the ramp for getting in and out of the coop and momma hen is letting them scamper around outside near the main flock with no problems so far, which is way more cute than me keeping them in an artificial brooder for the first two months of their lives. i'm lucky we've got such mellow birds. then this morning, we noticed that the third broody hen has at least 5 newbies under her. yay! but that means that the second broody hen got skipped. =/ so we had to pull her eggs and i float tested them, and not a single one was any good. poor girl. i hate it when that happens. so i cleaned out her nest and put in fresh straw with 10 new eggs. she's grouchily sitting on them, none the wiser. we'll see what happens.

sorry all my journaling thus far appears to be chicken-related, hah.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted here... been kinda sick off and on these past few months, mainly just extremely exhausted feeling. Boo. Makes it hard to do stuff. =/

Anyways though, we had planted potatoes this year, using the method where you continually stack straw over the plants to encourage them to grow taller. The potatoes are supposed to grow in the straw, leaving them clean and easy to harvest once the plants die back. Well, the plants were looking beautiful, and died back on schedule, so we went to pull them up... and they were all 4' tall stems with a couple sad taters at the very bottom of the stems in the dirt, nothing growing into the straw at all :( Very discouraged. Any ideas what we mighta done wrong?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Must just be a bad year for taters. Mine did the same thing :(

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did you fertilize them at all? I remember that you need to add some nutrients if they're grown in straw like that. I keep trying to do some that way, but they always get away from me and get too tall in a flash.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Now I'm worried. My 'tater plants are thick and robust (still flowering). Now I want to go poke around in the dirt under them... :hide