Method for humane chicken euthanasia?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
It is done. :hit
:hugs Sorry hun :( It never gets easier, no matter how long you keep birds or how many times you have to do it. More hugs to ya sis. :hugs :hugs

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, WBF, I appreciate your support. I'm hoping I'll develop a thicker skin, but I guess I'm too tender-hearted. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am too. :/ It does NOT get easier, I don't care what others say, it doesn't. I have had to put a few chicks down, and it always is horrible, and I'm never attached to chicks, rarely to chickens. To me though, it's still a life, no matter if I was close to it or not. Death always just sucks. I'd hate to be the type person that it honestly doesn't bother at all though. I don't want thicker skin, if it ever doesn't bother me, I will get rid of all my animals because I will have become too callous to properly care for them. I think it's normal to hurt over having to put animals down.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I am too. :/ It does NOT get easier, I don't care what others say, it doesn't. I have had to put a few chicks down, and it always is horrible, and I'm never attached to chicks, rarely to chickens. To me though, it's still a life, no matter if I was close to it or not. Death always just sucks. I'd hate to be the type person that it honestly doesn't bother at all though. I don't want thicker skin, if it ever doesn't bother me, I will get rid of all my animals because I will have become too callous to properly care for them. I think it's normal to hurt over having to put animals down.
What she said...I have had to do it a few times and have to work so hard to bring up the attitude to be able to get the job done. In my younger years I was alot more able, and it was hard enough then...but it seems as I get older I am getting that much softer.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I don't want thicker skin, if it ever doesn't bother me, I will get rid of all my animals because I will have become too callous to properly care for them. I think it's normal to hurt over having to put animals down.
I think you're right, WBF. (DH kept saying, "Hey, you did what had to be done. It was better than having her suffer." But I still bawled like a baby & kept apologizing to her.) :(

Thanks, MC.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sorry :hugs I hate to have to put them down, but there is a difference between "butchering" and "culling for health reasons" and culling is always harder, the butchering doesnt bother me anymore but the culling is horrible. I have had to put chickens and chicks down and its no fun :/

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, BB. How do you do it for health reasons...? Same as for processing?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Thanks, BB. How do you do it for health reasons...? Same as for processing?
Yes, its not easy but necessary. I dont know of any other way to do it, and I have had to cull chicks too.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think I could bear to do it that way. Using the starter fluid appeared more peaceful, granted she was very weak already, so there was no struggle. I have heard it's not so easy if they have any "fight" left in them, so I was fortunate. I had prayed that the Lord would lift that burden from me, that she would pass naturally, but apparently it was something He wanted me to do. :/

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can someone post how-to details about the starter fluid? Do they just willingly drink it? Is there another good way or type of poison? My son's hen Juliet needs to go and I don't have the guts to wring her neck or chop off her head. I don't have a cone.