FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can also look into a hydroponic set up for greenhouse etc
you don't always need dirt space

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Stack as much as humanly possible. I have a large garden, but I also grow a LOT in containers on my back patio. I'm lucky enough to have south facing windows so all my herbs grow inside. I have a blood orange tree, a lemon tree and a lime tree that are inside fruit trees. I have window boxes for some of my strawberries.

My outside fruit trees are planted as 3-in-ones to maximize space. Instead of fencing off the back portion of my yard I'm planning on starting a fruit baring hedge with hazelnuts, blackthorn, wild grapes, blackcurrants, elderberry and wild plums.

At the moment my chickens have a stationary coop and run but in a couple weeks they're being moved to a hoop house tractor. My new ducks and turkeys will also be house in such a facility. In the next couple years I'm hoping to get a couple Nigerian Dwarf goats for dairy. They will also be housed in a hoop house (more permanent) that I can tuck away behind our unattached garage.
My rabbits live directly off of the patio so we can watch each other. :D

I'm hoping to remove the MASSIVE rhododendrons from around my house this year so I can plant raspberries, blackberries and lingonberries.

Basically, I was to remove all decoration and plant something that will feed me. Instead of fencing, I want to plant something that will feed me.

I am helping my mother plant a garden in her back yard this year. They have 1/10 of an acre (including house) and 3 dogs, so it'll be interesting, but we're planning on doing a peach tree, a pear tree, potatoes, peas, carrots, tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, cucumbers, leaf lettuce and zucchini.

I like the challenge of getting as much as possible from as little as possible.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Don't forget to include some flowers in your plan for the bees :D 90% of what I plant is edible, but if they also have flowers that bloom at different times than your food crops, it keeps them happy and coming back. This naturally helps your yields. Overseeding your lawn with clover also helps.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks WZ for giving me a REASON to plant flowers. I've always loved flowers and planted a few veggies. Practicality last year had me switching those out, and the only flowers I had were $5 worth of impatiens by the front door. Chosen because they were the right color for the house. I think it was the first year in forever that I had NONE of my favorite flowers, and it was kind if sad for me. Now I have a reason. And I also already have some seeds. :D