Microwaves, how evil are they?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
grannyB said:
dacjohns said:
That is hard to believe. It is still water unless somehow the water molecules are fundamentally changed to something besides water. A water molecule is 2 hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, it is not a protein. That is almost like distilled water or rain water being not able to germinate seeds.
But tap water is not just H2O. It has other chemicals, minerals, etc. Maybe the chlorine or fluoride, etc. changes?
Not all tap water is treated with chlorine and/or flouride.

I would like to see the results of a valid study that shows that microwaved tap water inhibits seed germination and why it does. What is changed in the water to cause this effect?
I would like to see it done with water from the same source heated on the stove and cooled, and unheated water.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
delia_peterson said:
Wildsky said:
I ordered a hot water bottle on line to give that a try, I remember using them as a kid and loved it - and it stayed hot forever.

I did warm up my rice bags ontop of the wood stove a little while ago - to try it out, I guess you could warm them in the oven if needed, but they really don't hold the heat long enough.
You can keep the rice bags in the freezer as well, in a zip lock baggie or something. Use them cold for bumps and bruises etc.
Where did you order your hot water bottle from?
Vermont Country store (because I've purchased from them before) It was a little more expensive than I've seen on line, I saw some for $5 but wasn't convinced of the quality. THe one from VCS was $16. If its a good one I'll probably buy a couple more so we don't fight over it, the kids don't stand a chance if I'm cold! :gig
Wanted to update, I LOVE this hot water bottle, I knitted a cover for it, and take it to bed every night.... keeps my feet nice and toasty ALL night long, I couldn't believe how long it kept its heat.
I actually woke up the past two nights at around 3am and 4am and it was totally warm by my feet :ya my rice bags would stay warm for perhaps 20-30 minutes TOPS.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Water is one of the best heat storage mediums and holds heat 4 times better than concrete or rocks which we used in the sleeping bags while winter camping. Many use large drums for passive solar heat storage as trombe walls.

Back to microwaves - you guys already hit on all the good technical stuff and leave me nothing but a few musing from the last century. In the 80's when I first started a repair shop microwaves were a hot item because they cost a lot of money then and were worth repairing. I had a microwave leak detector and found that lantern mantles, glowing watch dials, and smoke alarms gave off more radiation then the oven did, though you usually didn't stick your face up to them.

Around that time I was fixing a large commercial unit and while adjusting the door interlock the microwave came on with my left hand in it, in just a few seconds my hand got nice and warm. I have since called it my incredible hulk hand but even after hitting my thumb with a hammer it never turned a mean green, just puffy and red.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Wildsky said:
delia_peterson said:
Where did you order your hot water bottle from?
Vermont Country store (because I've purchased from them before) It was a little more expensive than I've seen on line, I saw some for $5 but wasn't convinced of the quality. THe one from VCS was $16. If its a good one I'll probably buy a couple more so we don't fight over it, the kids don't stand a chance if I'm cold! :gig
Wanted to update, I LOVE this hot water bottle, I knitted a cover for it, and take it to bed every night.... keeps my feet nice and toasty ALL night long, I couldn't believe how long it kept its heat.
I actually woke up the past two nights at around 3am and 4am and it was totally warm by my feet :ya my rice bags would stay warm for perhaps 20-30 minutes TOPS.
Thank you for the update! Now I am going to go order one......;)