Microwaves, how evil are they?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
I think I will have to go with the ugly orange plastic water bottles that leaked in my bed when I was a kid. Iwill keep my rice buddy until I find out if it(wipes tears away) is the cause of a mutitude of problems. Thanks guys, it really is my friend.
:lol: :gig

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
After I read numerous articles on the changes of protein forms (no scientist here) one particular fact freaked me out enough to test it. Supposedly a seed can't sprout with microwave water. Tested it out with one flat microwaved water and one flat tap water. Same seeds about a dozen in each. Seven days later lots of sprouts with tap water, 0 sprouts with nuke water. The only thing I use the microwave for is to heat my rice bag for cold achey joints. Have been dwelling on the fact that aroung the time I started using it my general health took a major dump. I'm so addicted to using it cause I am always cold. I always feel better in summer when the buddy goes into hibernation. Just thought I would throw that out there. Do they still sell hot water thingies?
That is hard to believe. It is still water unless somehow the water molecules are fundamentally changed to something besides water. A water molecule is 2 hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, it is not a protein. That is almost like distilled water or rain water being not able to germinate seeds.

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I dunno. I've read the thread and the research, but I'm keeping my little microwave. It was free, and I use it to defrost things and heat up leftovers, or make a cup of cocoa.

I would never use one to actually cook with. My mother was a god-awful cook. She COULD cook well, but she was cheap and lazy. She used to throw pork chops and fish in the microwave. She'd just stick them on a plate and turn it on. No seasonings or butter, or even salt and pepper! Oh god, microwaved pork chops and fish are the most LOATHSOME things ever. I normally just refused to eat dinner on fish and pork chop night. :sick

I never knew pork or fish could actually TASTE good until I grew up up enough to follow recipes and cook them for myself. :gig

grannyB

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
That is hard to believe. It is still water unless somehow the water molecules are fundamentally changed to something besides water. A water molecule is 2 hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, it is not a protein. That is almost like distilled water or rain water being not able to germinate seeds.
But tap water is not just H2O. It has other chemicals, minerals, etc. Maybe the chlorine or fluoride, etc. changes?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ibicella said:
I dunno. I've read the thread and the research, but I'm keeping my little microwave. It was free, and I use it to defrost things and heat up leftovers, or make a cup of cocoa.

I would never use one to actually cook with. My mother was a god-awful cook. She COULD cook well, but she was cheap and lazy. She used to throw pork chops and fish in the microwave. She'd just stick them on a plate and turn it on. No seasonings or butter, or even salt and pepper! Oh god, microwaved pork chops and fish are the most LOATHSOME things ever. I normally just refused to eat dinner on fish and pork chop night. :sick

I never knew pork or fish could actually TASTE good until I grew up up enough to follow recipes and cook them for myself. :gig
I refused for years to get a microwave; hated the very idea of them. Always claimed I was the last person in California to have one in the house :lol:. When my mother died, 10 years ago, we took hers, as my brothers all had one, and my husband really thought we needed one :rolleyes:. (BTW she hated it too, and never used it; it was a gift from her sister, and never was out of the box). We use it to re-heat coffee or tea, and occasionally to melt butter (if I haven't thought far enough ahead). DH will use it to re-heat soups and such, but I don't like the result so won't use it that way. I did, early on, in an effort to prove my open mindedness, choose a recipe specifically written for the microwave, and tried it out. Never again :duc What with having to pull it out every minute or so to stir (can't stir while it is in the machine, not enough room) etc., etc. it was just too much bother. It was, indeed, quicker than on the stove - but on the stove one can do something else while the food is cooking, and stir every once in awhile. With the microwave the periods between stirring aren't long enough to actually do anything else. No matter if the health problems are there or not (I'm inclined to believe they are, but I am very biased :lol:) I hate the thing, and would ditch it in a minute. DH loves it, however, so it is here to stay, though I don't have to use it :lol:. A friend uses hers as a nice, airtight, breadbox - but that wouldn't work here, as DH really likes the thing.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
grannyB said:
dacjohns said:
But tap water is not just H2O. It has other chemicals, minerals, etc. Maybe the chlorine or fluoride, etc. changes?
Not all tap water is treated with chlorine and/or flouride.

I would like to see the results of a valid study that shows that microwaved tap water inhibits seed germination and why it does. What is changed in the water to cause this effect?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
I think I will have to go with the ugly orange plastic water bottles that leaked in my bed when I was a kid. Iwill keep my rice buddy until I find out if it(wipes tears away) is the cause of a mutitude of problems. Thanks guys, it really is my friend.
I ordered a hot water bottle on line to give that a try, I remember using them as a kid and loved it - and it stayed hot forever.

I did warm up my rice bags ontop of the wood stove a little while ago - to try it out, I guess you could warm them in the oven if needed, but they really don't hold the heat long enough.
You can keep the rice bags in the freezer as well, in a zip lock baggie or something. Use them cold for bumps and bruises etc.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
GardenWeasel said:
After I read numerous articles on the changes of protein forms (no scientist here) one particular fact freaked me out enough to test it. Supposedly a seed can't sprout with microwave water. Tested it out with one flat microwaved water and one flat tap water. Same seeds about a dozen in each. Seven days later lots of sprouts with tap water, 0 sprouts with nuke water. The only thing I use the microwave for is to heat my rice bag for cold achey joints. Have been dwelling on the fact that aroung the time I started using it my general health took a major dump. I'm so addicted to using it cause I am always cold. I always feel better in summer when the buddy goes into hibernation. Just thought I would throw that out there. Do they still sell hot water thingies?
Back in the Soviet Union days the Russions banned microwave ovens after their studies were complete. I read some of the studies way back but only snippets were translated into English. They found that the microwaves changed the chemical structures of protiens and other chemical components in the food so they decided that it made the food into a foreign substance unlike anything people had ever eaten before.
Thats why you don't find microwaves there, even with the rich.

In nursing nurses are trained not to microwave baby formula and they give the rediculous excuse that it makes hot spots in the formula which if the bottle is shaken even for 2 seconds the milk is mixed anyway and no hot spots. What the formula people know, those who make it, is that babies who eat microwaved formula do not thrive. A study that one of the companies tried to withhold leaked out but still it did not become common knowlege. I don't remember what company but Nestle comes to mind, they have done things to kill kids in foreign countries and I won't go near their products for that reason.

I have found no evidence that microwaved water will not germanate seeds because it kills the water. But I have found evidence that structured water will facilitate the better growth of plants.

You guys that work with growing things should understand that life is vibratant and energetic. There are a number of ways to kill things, and some death walks are very slow, as with drinking dead water, eating dead food from zapping the living principle or vital force out of it. Emotos work explains it all and perhaps I will post on structured water and just what its capabilities are for increasing acreage production of vegetables and for increasing health. There are some pretty inpressive experiments going on at this time with structured water irrigation to increase crop yeild.

One of the agreements with my husband was the day I moved into his house the microwave would go. On that day it was placed at the curb and disappeared in about 30 minutes. I have never and will never have one in my house.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
GardenWeasel said:
I ordered a hot water bottle on line to give that a try, I remember using them as a kid and loved it - and it stayed hot forever.

I did warm up my rice bags ontop of the wood stove a little while ago - to try it out, I guess you could warm them in the oven if needed, but they really don't hold the heat long enough.
You can keep the rice bags in the freezer as well, in a zip lock baggie or something. Use them cold for bumps and bruises etc.
Where did you order your hot water bottle from?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
Wildsky said:
GardenWeasel said:

Where did you order your hot water bottle from?
Vermont Country store (because I've purchased from them before) It was a little more expensive than I've seen on line, I saw some for $5 but wasn't convinced of the quality. THe one from VCS was $16. If its a good one I'll probably buy a couple more so we don't fight over it, the kids don't stand a chance if I'm cold! :gig