Milking question

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm trying to get this straight in my head before I have to start milking the goats. What's your preference - do you milk into a bucket/container and then strain, or do you strain as you milk?
I think I want to strain as I milk, but I haven't yet figured out my equipment. I have all sizes of Mason jars, one of those metal coffee filters and that's it so far. I am concerned that a mason jar isn't a big enough target for a beginner though :p Does a metal coffee filter also need a cloth or paper in it to catch fine particles?

I think I'm in information overload and just need someone to tell me what to do :D

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I'm trying to get this straight in my head before I have to start milking. What's your preference - do you milk into a bucket/container and then strain, or do you strain as you milk?
I think I want to strain as I milk, but I haven't yet figured out my equipment. I have all sizes of Mason jars, one of those metal coffee filters and that's it so far. I am concerned that a mason jar isn't a big enough target for a beginner though :p Does a metal coffee filter also need a cloth or paper in it to catch fine particles?

I think I'm in information overload and just need someone to tell me what to do :D
I don't have any information to help you, but I'm going to watch this one since this will be good for us to have :) However, one thought I had is it might make a difference (and I could be wrong, I'm comfortable with that :D ) what you are milking. Cow? Sheep? Goat? Yak? (am I the only one who wants to raise yaks?) :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I strain after.

mason jar you gotta be a bullseye expert
bucket---wide oh yea lol

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Goats :D Short goats. In fact, I need to measure to see how much clearance we have.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I milk into a stainless steel bucket and then strain once I'm in the house. It just works better for me.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
whoot! baby! you are so close to milking!

run right over and read my blog post here:
http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2011/02/what-you-need-to-make-cheese-glorious.html

see that you can go to the TSC dogfood aisle and get a seamless/stainless SHORT bucket for like $10 which will work for your low riders. you can use glass but whatever you do, dont use plastic not even once (except for the poultry but never for the house).

i milk into the bucket (all girls into one but at first you may want to milk separately as the milk MAY be off tasting for the first week for each lady - this varies) then haul it into the house, strain into wide mouth quart jars, then chill in the freezer.

see also that i have some links for strainers get the bigger one - its worth the money. the coffee filters didnt work for me b/c it takes too long for drain in.. but you can get the box of filters from TSC (sometimes) or from hoegger.

i loose counterspace during milking season b/c i let the bucket air dry on a cookie cooling rack.

fiascofarms says to use dawn detergent + bleach to get your milking stuff extra clean.

and dont forget to have someone take video of you milking for the first time! whoot! be the BOSS GOAT!

hows that?
:)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
One thing that I tell my milk co-op members, is to prewash all items that have contact with milk, in cold water and soap.
This prevents those unsightly milk stains that are caused by the proteins being set from hot water.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:tongue at TSC
Ours doesn't have any short pails. Or pitchforks :rolleyes: I'll just figure something out until I order one from a supply place. The only pails I saw were way too tall to fit under my shorties and I didn't want to get a dog bowl.

BB, I have never heard that before.

I just went out and measured - Perdy has approx 5 inches of clearance from her teats to the ground :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a small pail from Caprine supply. It's one quart! Very cute but not cost effective I'm afraid.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Javamama said:
:tongue at TSC
Ours doesn't have any short pails. Or pitchforks :rolleyes: I'll just figure something out until I order one from a supply place. The only pails I saw were way too tall to fit under my shorties and I didn't want to get a dog bowl.

BB, I have never heard that before.

I just went out and measured - Perdy has approx 5 inches of clearance from her teats to the ground :lol:
5" !?!?
Wow, get yourself a deep pie plate woman!

That or construct your stand with a hole to place a bucket in!