Milking question

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I milk into a SS bucket and then bring inside to strain. I bought the mini strainer from Hoegger and I hate the filters that work with it. SOOO slow. So I now use the funnel part of the strainer and put our coffee filter in it. It's not the paper filters, it's the plastic basket type one w/ the extremely fine mesh. It flows much better!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamamma - I went to TSC to get a pitchfork and they didn't have any decent ones either! Hmmm...luckily our local Agway did so I got a nice one for about $30. Too much money, IMO, but I needed one really badly.

I use to use a pot that I stole from my kitchen, but now I have a stainless steel pot. I bought one of those hand sifters/strainers from Wal-mart and use coffee filters. I found that at first the milk took forever to go through, but after a few months it started to work just fine. I bought the really cheap coffee filters from Wal-mart.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
whoot! baby! you are so close to milking!

run right over and read my blog post here:
http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2011/02/what-you-need-to-make-cheese-glorious.html

see that you can go to the TSC dogfood aisle and get a seamless/stainless SHORT bucket for like $10 which will work for your low riders. you can use glass but whatever you do, dont use plastic not even once (except for the poultry but never for the house).

and dont forget to have someone take video of you milking for the first time! whoot! be the BOSS GOAT!

hows that?
:)
Although I did not take any video of the first milking, I wish now I had. Y'all would be laughing yourselves silly. We had to wash the entire room after because we got the walls, the floor, the stanchion and everything but the bucket. We used OFG's idea however of the stainless steel dog bowl because we already had one that I just very completely sterilized. I was glad I had read this idea because my goats teats are also very close to the ground. We tried a wide-mouthed mason jar first and that was too hard for us to coordinate....maybe when we get better at it. But the dog bowl was a nice wide space to "aim" for!

I've only milked two times so I'm certainly an expert at this point only in how to make a mess!