Minnesota Gardening's Journal

MinnesotaGardening

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Background intro:
This is my first full year on my forever farm, and I am excited to begin making it my own. I grew up on a farm out in open and beautiful western Minnesota. For several years after graduating college I rented garden space in town. Now I am back out in the country on a farm with my husband, after getting married last summer. I love growing my own vegetables from seed here in short-season central MN, and have been doing so for several years. I'm working on seed saving skills, and each year I am saving from more plant types. While I have to split my gardening time with farm work during the summer (the cows come first), I enjoy every minute I can get lost in the garden. Come fall, I preserve as much food as I can, and I am working on expanding my food preservation skills. And in the winter, I love baking and cooking with all of my garden goodies.

Currently in the garden:
I am starting to get my garden planted. We are about a week past our typical last frost date, and I was holding off because the weather had been a little erratic. Yesterday I direct sowed 21 varieties of bush beans, I also transplanted broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, and parsley. This year I am attempting to use weed cloth as a time saver in the front part of my garden, so we'll see how that works. The rest of my seedlings are impatiently waiting to go outside.

garden prep.jpg

weed cloth.jpg

garlic.jpg

seedlings.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you said the magic bean word! :) haha! hope you enjoy every moment you get out there and with the moomoos too. i grew up just kitty corner from a small dairy farm.

MinnesotaGardening

Power Conserver
Reaction score
you said the magic bean word! :) haha! hope you enjoy every moment you get out there and with the moomoos too. i grew up just kitty corner from a small dairy farm.

Haha I'm so looking forward to the beans! Still havent narrowed down my pole bean planting list, though. And yes, I'll enjoy the moomoos, they are so much fun!
😁

close cows.jpg
cattle on pasture.jpg

MinnesotaGardening

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The apple trees bloomed well, and I'm hoping to get more apples than they produced last year (it was a pretty small crop, maybe 20 apples total).

apple trees.jpg

The new pear trees that we got this year are leafing out nicely. We got one Summer Crisp and one Parker pear tree.

pear tree.jpg

Back in the house I made some homemade jerky from one of our home raised cows.

jerky.jpg

And this loaf of bread kind of got away from me, but it was still great textured without big air pockets.

bread 2.jpg
bread 1.jpg

Last edited: