Mirena IUD

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got one put in yesterday. I'm one who can usually handle my pain but my god did it hurt. It hurt so bad that I almost passed out. I could hardly walk or drive afterwards from the cramping pain. Today it feels so much better though. Would I do it again? Not anytime soon! Lol. In another five years yes but wouldn't do it every year. Anyone else have one?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never had one, but a friend of mine did and she said it was the most aweful experience ever. During intercourse it would hurt like heck and she said it made her periods even worse.

Now - that's just one story against I'm sure hundreds of women who probably never have any issues. Who knows, maybe her doctor didn't do it right?

I wish you luck and hope you feel better!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I had a friend with one and she loved it. Hurt when it was first put in and took hormones a few months to adjust, and then got to ignore it for 5 years ;)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My daughter Dani has one. She chose that form of birth control because she has Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome and she needed the hormones to help regulate cycle. She too was cussing me when she first got it (because I'm the one who did all the research to show her which ones would be best for her) because it hurt and she's never really had a lot of cramping with her periods the THREE or four she's had in her whole life so this was new for her but she loves it now because the girl is NOT a pill taker.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got one put in about 2 months ago. It did hurt, BAD!! The nurse told me it was nothing like childbirth so that helped some. But yeah it did hurt. Now I feel no pain :) I finally just stopped spotting. I can also tell from my last period that PMS wasn't as bad. I'm hoping I will stop having a period all together. Yes the first day I didn't move much. The second day I moved a little more and was good to go by the third day. I hope you get to feeling better and the IUD works out for you. Try a heating pad and rest!

Natalie's Nesters

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had the old school one, it was good for 10 years. It also lacked any hormones. I was done having kids, so it worked out well. It was very uncomfortable to put in, but soooo much easier to remove. Loved it, then I talked my husband in to the big V.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Got one put in yesterday. I'm one who can usually handle my pain but my god did it hurt. It hurt so bad that I almost passed out. I could hardly walk or drive afterwards from the cramping pain. Today it feels so much better though. Would I do it again? Not anytime soon! Lol. In another five years yes but wouldn't do it every year. Anyone else have one?
I did, and it was just like you describe. I had to have DH come pick me up. I soaked in a hot bath until I feel asleep, and the pain subsided. And I usually have a high pain tolerance!

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I've never had one. I will say that us guys do appreciate your efforts though. Thank you Mom and Dad for your perfect timing.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love, love my Mirena IUD. I got it in Nov of 06', and just when you think you can't take anymore cramping, breakthru bleeding...your periods just stop :D

After about 6mos, I had no periods, my pms is not as bad & my doc informed me as to how effective it is :thumbsup I already have my appointment to have it replaced this fall!