Mississippifarmboy's Living Simple Journal, Ready for a Fresh Start.

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow! I didn't realize it had been over a week since I posted.

FEM, Cindi... I'm ok, just been busy with other stuff and haven't been online much.

In the past week I've been cleaning the garden area, raking, pulling weeds, and burning brush. I hauled off a little scrap metal, patched a little more on the tractor shed, worked with Gus a little and watched Em working with him. Today was worming and counting heads day. So needless to say, I'm worn out. I ran a new hot-wire along the bottom of the chain link fence between the lower pasture and the main chicken pen, the darn goats were pushing under it and eating all the chicken feed. They came running when I fed the chickens this evening - but they ran twice as hard the other way after they touched the new wire. I think I got my point across. :)
Gotta make it short tonight, Em started a new job and I want to get the house clean and try and make her something nice for supper.

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
What are we having? :D
Not much I guess, I need to buy groceries if I ever get paid. :( Looks like white beans cooked with ground beef, turnip greens and cornbread. I think I have a cake mix too if I can think of something to use for frosting.

Not fancy, but we'll eat. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hubby stopped on the way home (he worked late) and got a frozen pizza. Wasn't the best dinner, but we ate. We were both to beat to cook anything.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You HAVE been busy! And about to cook dinner - whataguy!

You can make a simple icing out of just powdered milk and a little bit of milk, and maybe some vanilla extract if you wanna get fancy - pretty good drizzled over a nice warm cake!

That was not fair, cuz now I want cake!!! I cannot want it, I cannot want it....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Peanut butter and honey mixture makes a delicious frosting too!!! :D

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, it's been a while since I posted, so thought while I had time this evening- I'd ramble a while. :p

Last night we had some of the kid's friends over for a small Halloween party. Roasted hot dogs and marshmallows over a fire, had a hay ride, Em made tons of creepy cupcakes and jello desserts along with some other stuff. Then they all watched campy horror movies until bedtime. :rolleyes: The kids had a lot of fun I think.

Every thing has been crazy around here. Every day is something new, but my health is slowly improving and I'm trying to work at least a little every day to build up my strength. In the past week I've gotten most of the garden area fenced with electric fencing, I've raked it almost all and cleared most of the weeds. I'm spreading a couple of inches of compost on it now. I've burned lots of brush, moved some scrap lumber, installed a new wood heater for my uncle, and tried to decide where to work next.

I've been thinking about a lot of stuff I can do to help ourselves and maybe help other people at the same time. Then last week after Cindi and I had a chat over the phone, barnstorming ideas, I really started researching some stuff. Tons of hours of research on stuff like butter churns, soap nuts, buggy making, bamboo stuff, native fruits.... just sooo much stuff.

I'm thinking about a small co-op type operation on the gardening, fruits, maybe chickens and pigs. And maybe a small web based general store. I have access to things that us country folks use MUCH cheaper than what I can find online. For example a glass butter churn at Lehman's is $149.95 (https://www.lehmans.com/p-4462-lehman-s-own-butter-churn.aspx) and I can sell the same darn thing new for half of that or close to it. I've searched for days and yet to find an honest to goodness old time hog carving knife, or a old time hog scaper.... but I could have some made. :idunno

Anyway, I'm deep in research mode this week... :hide