Missouri anyone???

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We are near the Kansas City area. We also have a place in the Ozarks near Lake of the Ozarks. I have lived in Missouri all of my life and have had relatives that have lived in so many different parts of the state I pretty well have it covered!

Where we are we are in zone 6 most of the time with an occasional journey into zone 5 in the winter months.

January is our coldest month ... and I mean cold. This year we got down to 16 below zero wind chill! Missouri is a damp state - plenty of rain and rivers, so the moisture level is usually high as well. Winter is a damp cold with strong winds. Not too deep of snow usually one or possibly two deep snows (12 inches usually about max) and sometimes long sessions with no snow at all. We get LOTS of ice and ice storms. You have not seen winter until you see a full grown tree cracked in half under a load of ice!:/

February still freaking cold, but with some sunny days of hope. My snow drops bloom and the crocus.

We start planting onions, peas and potatoes on or slightly before St Patrick's Day March 15. We plant tomatoes and warm season crops usually around tax day April 15. Just because we plant the gardens does not mean snow is done. Sometimes it dumps a foot on us in April!

May and June are USUALLY nice and beautiful with lots of rain and warm weather. This is the time we RE-plant the ruined gardens! :p I say usually because we have just had a week and a half of heat with the heat index at 105 to 110! Summers here are usually VERY humid. We have good steady rain... (sometimes way too much and the rivers all flood) until about mid July.

July and August HOT HOT and dry. This is the time all of that mulch pays off, as well as the soaker hoses buried under it!

Sept through late October usually beautiful. First freeze usually sometime in November although we have had roses blooming when I am putting up Christmas lights! December is usually mild but cold with several days of freezing rain or light snow.

What native plants are you interested in and what part of Missouri soil wise are you interested in? Missouri has many different bio zones.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you so much or the info. It's the first hand account that makes it seem real. My husbands Aunt has property in Seymour just outside Springfield. She has bought two property's, one for her son who is married with 3 kids and the other is for herself and husband. We have seen pictures of the children with their pets. Goats, chickens etc.. They look so happy and healthy and are enjoying the simple things.

Last week I found out Auntie's dd is moving there as well. She is coming from a military town on the east coast. I sent her a message and told her I was on my way. lol

I think our biggest problem would be what type of employment would be there for my dh and the schools for the kids. I have no intention of home schooling. Not something I have the patience for.

As or the growing season and the native plants I think thats just a learn as you go kinda thing. I like having a family style orchard and think a variety of fruit trees is best for that. I have never had any animals on the hoof so that would be learn as you go as well. I am willing to try anything, at least once. :D

My hope is that with selling our home here in Ca. and paying off the existing mortgage we would have some wiggle room. At least enough for my husband to have some time to decide what he wants to do.

But then there is the medical Ins and health concerns. With dh being a cancer survivor we would need to be on a group medical plan. I hear it is very hard to be self insured if you have cancer as a pre existing condition. So that's one major reason to stay here in San Diego. They have amazing health care.

Lots of deciding factors but there is always a chance. I hope. :D

We normally take our family vacation in June when school gets out. Maybe if visiting Mo we should wait until later in the year. Dry heat we are used to but the humdidity scares me to death.

Maybe Thanksgiving break??? Or even late Aug before the kids go back to school? Looks like I have another vacation to plan!!!

Thanks for the info. gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Weather around Thanksgiving is usually cool to cold, but other wise quite nice.

The soil around the Springfield area is a lot rockier and more clay than around us. It is also a lot more "roomy" - lots less people than where I live and that is good!

You only have to remember one of the old adages about this place... "If you don't like the weather, just stick around a while!" :lol:

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Southwest Missouri represented here, specifically Jasper. We have a small place, big back yard, several shade trees, I guess you could call us urban farmers. It has been said that we have more in a backyard than some people have on 60 acres.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome Kenman, that's whats important. Maximizing the space you have and making the best of it.
g

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kenman said:
Southwest Missouri represented here, specifically Jasper. We have a small place, big back yard, several shade trees, I guess you could call us urban farmers. It has been said that we have more in a backyard than some people have on 60 acres.
Kenman, I'm just across the line from you in Kansas. The Chanute area.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome fellow urban farmer! :welcome

It is nice to have you aboard! What kinds of things do you raise on your farm?