Money Saving Tips for your Car

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Drive slower (I save a quarter tank per week that way)
I used to deliver pizzas. I just don't think I can do that :D

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I used to deliver pizzas. I just don't think I can do that :D
Come on, now!! Take ya foot off that gas pedal!!

:lol:

Cassandra

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Cassandra said:

Cassandra
Sorry kiddo....I can't drive 55. :lol:

Ya know how they always tell ya to avoid jackrabbit starts?????

347483797.jpg

This is my street legal 1993 Dodge Daytona. That particular run, the car went 9.40(seconds) at 140 mph in the 1/4 mile. I am in the process of building a larger more powerful engine for it now. I am hoping for 8.90's at 150mph.:D:D:D
The carburetor on this car flows more air than most peoples entire engine. :lol::lol:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I used to be a little speedo...until i bought a jeep...that slowed me down ALOT. As soon as you hit 60 you feel out of control and don't want to go any faster:>)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Sorry kiddo....I can't drive 55. :lol:

Ya know how they always tell ya to avoid jackrabbit starts?????

This is my street legal 1993 Dodge Daytona. That particular run, the car went 9.40(seconds) at 140 mph in the 1/4 mile. I am in the process of building a larger more powerful engine for it now. I am hoping for 8.90's at 150mph.:D:D:D
The carburetor on this car flows more air than most peoples entire engine. :lol::lol:
I have new respect for the term 'jackrabbit starts'!!

My parents told me when I was a toddler daddy used to sneak off with me and take me drag racing. ~I bet that explains a lot, doesn't it!?~ Daddy said I would ride standing up in the passenger seat. (Early 70's. No such thing as carseats or airbags.) They said I loved it. I would stamp my little feet on the seat and squeal. "Vm Vm Daddy, go faster!"

It took me a long time to grow out of that.

Cassandra

I know you are all mortified by that. My five year old panicks if I ask him to ride from the mailbox to the house without being strapped in his carseat. LOL But I lived. ;)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
That particular run, the car went 9.40(seconds) at 140 mph in the 1/4 mile. I am in the process of building a larger more powerful engine for it now. I am hoping for 8.90's at 150mph.
:drool

I figure as slow as my husband drives, my lead-foot tendencies balance things out :D

One more tip....
When you wash your car, don't forget to spray the undercarriage!!! I read a report a while back that compared rust protection coating vs washing your car and no rust protection vs not washing your car and no rust protection. The car with the least rust after a long period of time was the WASHED CAR.

Save yourself the expense of getting the coating and just buy a really nice hose and a power wand.

(If I can find that report again I will post a link)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Good tips.

Also, buy used not new; and choose a make/model that is likely to be able to be kept chugging along to at least 250k miles (rather than ones where bits fall off every three miles and by 100k miles they are uneconomical to keep fixing).

I realize there are some individual circumstances where the above don't apply, but for I think probably 85% of us they DO.

Pat

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
When you do regularly change the oil, whether you do it yourself or have it done, save the receipts and keep records.
My engine blew with no rattling, no oil light warning, no indication that something was wrong 2 weeks past my warranty expiration date. Had it towed to the dealership who said a rod was thrown from no oil, $3000 to replace. We called the GM Headquarters, explained that the dealership's service dept changed our oil every three months and we had hard copy receipts to prove it. The clincher was having the proof of receipts even though the dealership was supposed to keep track of our oil changes on the computer. Free new engine! Free labor!
That's my money saving tip for your car.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I used to be a little speedo...until i bought a jeep...that slowed me down ALOT. As soon as you hit 60 you feel out of control and don't want to go any faster:>)
WHEW!! Glad I got a few years left to enjoy my hobby. I am 55 and am STILL trying to go faster!! :D

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Great suggestion Pat. I never buy new. We typically spend $3000-$5000, pay cash, keep the oil changed, and drive our cars until they blow up :D. Hubby is currently driving a Ford Concord someone GAVE us because the interior was all torn up. We traded some printing for car repairs with a body shop guy and it works fine. The parts cost us $150.

If you do the math, you can end up saving $100,000-$200,00 over a lifetime by not buying a new car in finance charges alone (assuming you are a typical American and but a new car ever 4-5 years).