Monsanto and Round-Up Ready Crops - Create Crisis

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My neighbors were just wondering why there were more dandelions this year than last. Hmm... Do you think it's related? Probably not. But I can tell you that I hand pull my weeds and they come back significantly slower than my neighbors that use herbicides.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
My neighbors were just wondering why there were more dandelions this year than last. Hmm... Do you think it's related? Probably not. But I can tell you that I hand pull my weeds and they come back significantly slower than my neighbors that use herbicides.
Tell your neighbors that dandelions are not weeds. They are salads that grow wild.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first attempt at dandelion wine is going to be bottled shortly. Then, I have to wait 6 months before we find out whether it is drinkable or not.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Tell your neighbors that dandelions are not weeds. They are salads that grow wild.
Dandelions are a valuable food source. If you don't like them, feed them to your birds.

"North Americans are just about the only people who look on the dandelion as a problem. Most of the world thinks of it as a food crop. The dandelion or Taraxacum officinale is in the same family as thistles, daisies and lettuce, but is most closely related to rooted crops like chicory, escarole and endive. Almost every part of the plant is edible. It is grown around the world for its roots, flowers and leaves. There is a theory that the dandelion - which is not native to North America - was brought over from Europe originally as a garden crop and then went native.

"It's been around for... well, almost forever," says Marty Shiel, who grows dandelion greens on 3 1/2 acres of his 25-acre vegetable farm in Southampton, Mass. "It was harvested during the Civil War for its roots, which were roasted and used as a coffee substitute. it was called 'Poor Man's Coffee'. He points out that even today, in areas of the deep south like New Orleans, a proper cup of coffee has chicory in it. "It's interesting that a hundred years ago, the focus was on the roots," he continues. "Today, it's on the greens. Back in the Pilgrim days - who knows? Probably just on not starving."

According to Shiel, dandelions are better for you than almost any other vegetable. "Nutritionally, it puts almost all greens to shame," he says. "Capsicums (chili peppers) come close in terms of vitamin A, but those aren't really greens. If you compare dandelion greens to something like spinach, they have twice the vitamin A, twice the calcium, more vitamin C and as much iron. It's really interesting that one of the greatest nutritional plants is viewd as the lawn's public enemy No. 1.""
http://www.almostgruntled.com/stories/freelance/dandelion.html

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The rabbit, Annabelle, has been having a feast of nettles, bindweed and dandelion almost daily. That is on top of her grazing the grass in the front yard. I've tried to serve these same plants to the girls but they just look at them like I'm trying to kill them and dig through hoping for worms. I have yet to get out early enough in the plants life to have the sweet leaves that I hear about. Mine are usually bitter.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The dandelions are an important honeybee plant, their pollen is essential for the spring build up. I've got so many in my backyard the seed heads look like blades of grass out there - and I've got six hives full of very happy honeybees!
beekeeper.gif

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I first put in my pasture, for my retired mare, I seeded it with "haymaker mix." I actually PULLED WEEDS BY HAND FOR TWO YEARS before I gave up, then I selectively pulled a few.

Then my thinking started to change.

I gathered seeds from the biggest dandelions on my walks and seeded my pasture. I was thrilled to see nettles showing up this year. I planted comfrey to naturalize. I rejoice in the goldenrod and other "weeds." I look at the pokeweed every few days and hope to catch it this year (as a cooked green) before it bolts.

I am researching herbs to grow and transplant for more naturalizing. I have lemon balm, and the catnip is flourishing along my compost pile fence. I am growing ostrich ferns for my woods, hoping to have enough by next spring to start transplanting them from the protected bed by the house, out into the woods....started with two clearance sale plants from the nursery (hunted in vain for wild ones.)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
My farming husband says that the Round-up is still working fine for farmers, but Monsanto no longer has THE market on it and so is coming up with new products to sell. <shrug>
My thoughts entirely. Are we REALLY sure that this is not just a media blitz to promote an up and coming NEW Monsanto product line?? Funny this kind of thing just starts happening as Monsanto is beginning to have some of their FINE patents expire. :somad :tongue

Monsanto soybean patents to expire

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
me&thegals said:
My farming husband says that the Round-up is still working fine for farmers, but Monsanto no longer has THE market on it and so is coming up with new products to sell. <shrug>
My thoughts entirely. Are we REALLY sure that this is not just a media blitz to promote an up and coming NEW Monsanto product line?? Funny this kind of thing just starts happening as Monsanto is beginning to have some of their FINE patents expire. :somad :tongue

Monsanto soybean patents to expire
What ever it is you can bet that with Monsanto involved its not gonna be good.

Latest posts