Moolie - Happy Thanksgiving :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
To edit your title, go to the first post you made in the thread and hit edit. You can then change your title.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
To edit your title, go to the first post you made in the thread and hit edit. You can then change your title.
Done, thank you! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The teaspoon-sized grain is the normal one! :lol: Are you sure the big one isn't a raft of many stuck together? Can you break it up? If you can make it smaller you can carefully dry bits of it (no heat!) and put it in a safe jar in the freezer to use if you lose yours or to share by shipping through the mail. It will be good for about 2 years in the freezer. Only a tiny bit of the dried grain is needed to start a new colony.

I am so happy I did this, since I've "lost" my grains several times, either to benign neglect when I stopped milking and got out of the habit of changing the milk, or when I had so much milk coming in that I put it in the wrong jar by mistake and it couldn't be found....probably got "smoothied" in the VitaMix! Sometimes I'd find it by straining all the likely jars.... I can be such a dingbat sometimes! :p

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's a big squiggly ball, like a palm-sized chunk of cauliflower. So what my friend gave me is way more than enough? Cool :cool:

So I only need the smaller piece? How much milk should I put in with the smaller piece tomorrow? Right now it's in a quart jar that is about 3/4 full.

I'm a little freaked out about taking this thing apart and maybe killing it by drying it wrong, but I'll have a good look at it tomorrow. I don't have a dehydrator, what's the best way to proceed?

And, does anyone else need kefir grains? Apparently I have lots :lol: (assuming I don't kill them when I separate this thing :rolleyes:)

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You won't kill them by separating them. I use 1 tbs of grains per quart of milk because I like mine done in 24 hours rather then 48. :)

If you have days where you forget to "harvest" the kefir, the more times you forget, the yuckier your kefir will taste. So be careful not to let it go too long too many times. If it does start tasting really bad then I posted directions on how to restore the good flavor in the "restoring kefir grains" thread.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you spend some time reading Dom's kefir site. (google it) it's a VERY long read, but WELL worth it. He has SO much knowledge!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Crown, I did find Dom's site after searching and reading several kefir threads here, and have also read/am keeping up with the "resuscitating" thread.

I plopped the teaspoon-size chunk back into the jar with about a pint of milk, and am about to see if I can take the larger chunk down into small pieces and dry them according to Dom's instructions. I guess I need to go out and get some powdered milk for storage?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So this is what I did with 2 cups of the kefir I "harvested" today--I made waffles using the kefir in place of buttermilk. They were delicious!

waffles.jpg

waffles3.jpg

waffles4.jpg

waffles2.jpg

Belgian Waffles

2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp maple syrup
4 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk or kefir

1. Whip egg whites till foamy and set aside.
2. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Stir egg yolks, syrup and buttermilk/kefir together in a separate bowl then pour into dry ingredients, mix just until everything is moistened.
4. Fold in egg whites.
5. Use pastry brush to brush melted coconut oil on waffle iron between each round of waffles.

Enjoy topped with home-made yogurt, berries or sliced fruit, and maple or berry syrup (we used Saskatoon Berry syrup from our local farmer's market).

I always double the recipe to make enough to cool on racks, then put in the freezer for easy toaster breakfasts :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is what my bigger kefir grain looked like this morning after I poured off what I used for the waffles. I have fairly big hands if that helps judge size:

kefirgrain.jpg

I ended up getting a phone call that took up a big chunk of my morning so I plopped it back into another jar with milk to wait for rinsing and drying another day. Yes, I'm a chicken, but I have things that need to get done today.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! Mine never get that big, but then it's probably because I usually end up putting them in the fridge for a while or killing them first before they get the change to get any bigger! I think the biggest I have ever had is about the diameter of a dime!