Moolie - Happy Thanksgiving :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Had some light frost in the past week, and last night we dipped to -1C/30F so fall is definitely here now. Will finish the garden clean-up this weekend other than the carrots and parsnips. Spaghetti squash and onions turned out lovely, fridge is full of cukes, yellow zukes, celery, and I have half a bushel of tomatoes ripening indoors. Actually got 5 or 6 apples that were hiding around the backside of the trees that didn't show up till they turned red, hoping for more next year :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I thought we had fall here, but it got up into the 80s today!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried to use the hose to fill the ducks' water this morning and it was partly frozen. Time to put it away and start using buckets *sigh*

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OMG - and we're still in the 90's. But (hallelujah) supposed to get a cool front this weekend and it'll get all the way down to the 60's at night. Yippee!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most nights we are staying above freezing, but we've had frost a couple of times now. Daytimes are still nice, low 60s F up to 70-ish.

Pulled some carrots for dinner again, they were so lovely and sweet :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow Hi Moolie, fall is in the air here as well last night the temps dropped to 25 F. Brrrr!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think you are colder than us so far, we're keeping to high 60s F during the daytime and last night we only dipped down to 42F--we've only had 5 frosty mornings so far. I love fall, it's so pretty here even though the only fall colours we get are yellow and brown, with the odd bit of red in the cotoneaster hedges and rare ornamental maples. Mostly aspen and poplar, willow, birch aside from evergreens here.

Still pulling carrots as needed and they are so sweet this year! Only thing left in the garden, along with the parsnips at this point--will harvest once the temps stay cold.

Pantry is bulging with yummy things, very pleased with my winter squash this year and keen to see how long they store, the Pollock tomatoes are half ripened up so we've been eating some of them fresh (although after being inside for a few weeks the flavour is not as nice as fresh) and canning them up in small batches of salsa and chili sauce--a few green ones still sitting around.

Already planning the next garden and have organized my seeds--won't need to buy many for 2014.

Today is bread baking day as we're on the last loaf from the last bake--I usually do 4 at a time plus buns or pizza crust--pizza for dinner tonight :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Feeling very blessed at the end of a wonderful (Canadian) Thanksgiving Long Weekend :love:

So much to be thankful for, surrounded by good friends and family!