Moolie - Happy Thanksgiving :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol, no worries--today we got up to just below freezing. And any day now we could go as high as 20C/70F. That's life in the Chinook zone :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, I paid for that comment...headed to church at 9 and it was 68, on the way home, it had dropped and continued to drop. By the time we did the 40 minute drive home, it was 42 and still falling! It's something around 30 right now :p

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been warm for the last week, above freezing till Saturday night when temps dipped below freezing again to -15C/5F, and now we're back to "seasonal" temps around -4C/25F.

Glad the forecast says it will warm up to just above freezing by the weekend because I have a Girl Guide camping weekend coming up. :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well it's February, which around here is the month that tries to trick us that spring is here. Lovely sunshine and blue skies this week, today we're at about 5C/41F--which I know sounds cold to most of you down south, but it's absolutely lovely for February around here :)

Been doing some freezer cooking today, thought I'd take photos of how I make Breakfast Bagels in case anyone else is inspired to make their own quickie breakfasts. My hubs usually runs out the door in the mornings to catch an early train to work and these things are what actually gets him to eat breakfast before he leaves--he just pops them into the microwave for a minute.

What I do is scramble an egg in a mug with a fork, adding: a tiny pinch of salt, a grind or two of black pepper, a pinch of ground coriander, and half a teaspoon of fines herbes.
bagel-001.jpg

Then I dump each scrambled egg into a section of a silicone muffin pan--the jumbo muffin size--and bake at 350F for 15 minutes till the eggs are set
bagel-002.jpg

While I'm mixing up and cooking the eggs, I also cook up a pound of bacon. I do it in the oven in my pyrex lasagne pans--takes about half an hour at 350F.
bagel-003.jpg

The cooked eggs before I pop them out to put the bagel-wiches together--I only have one pan so I have to cook my eggs in batches
bagel-004.jpg

Mmm bacon!
bagel-005.jpg

Two dozen breakfast bagels ready to go into the freezer...
bagel-006.jpg

Easy breakfast!
bagel-007.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I can't read this cuz I'll drool all over my computer. :drool

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Looks good, but I'm stuffed...and I have the hiccups :/

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hate the hiccups, especially when they go on and on--hope yours go away quickly!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Have you tried a teaspoon of sugar?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I tried several teaspoons of chocolate ice cream. It worked :D I MUST remember that for next time. Any excuse for ice cream is a good one ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did a big freezer cook this morning and my house smells lovely right now!

Tried a couple new recipes from an old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook in amongst the old favourites:

Lentil and Bratwurst Stew

4 cups beef broth
2 cups tomato sauce
1.5 cups lentils, rinsed and drained
1 cup beer (didn't have any so I skipped this part but I'm sure it would deepen the flavour)
1 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 cups sweet potato, diced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
2 garlic cloves, crushed
salt & pepper
12 oz smoked bratwurst, sliced

Cook lentils in broth/tomato sauce mixture along with beer, veggies, and spices till veggies are tender. Season and add sausage, cooking till heated through.
Curried Turkey Turnovers

1 lb ground turkey
4 green onions, sliced including white bulb end
1 pint canned tomatoes, broken up
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup raisins (left this out because DD17 doesn't like raisins)
1 heaping tablespoon curry powder (recipe called for 1 tsp but we like our curry)
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
pie crust dough for double crust pie

Brown turkey with veggies and spiced, add canned tomatoes and simmer gently till liquid is mostly reduced, let cool. Roll pie crust dough out to make two rounds, spoon half of turkey mixture onto HALF of each dough round, fold the other half over and seal the edge with water, crimp with fingers or fork. Wrap each turnover in heavy foil and freeze. To heat and serve: cut a couple of slashes in the top of each turnover, then bake at 375F for about 25 minutes or until turnovers are golden and filling is heated through. Serve with plain yogurt or sour cream and chutney.

Latest posts