Moolie - Happy Thanksgiving :)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Your yard is looking great! How long does your rainy season usually last? We've had the rainiest May on record here in KY. Crazy. I still don't have my garden in but part of that is my work schedule.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! We moved into this house in September 2009 so it has taken us a while to get going on proper gardening, but this year we're putting in 3 8x2' raised beds (those are the wooden frames in the deck photo) in addition to all the BIG deck pots we grew our tomatoes, herbs, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, and salad veg in last summer.

Our "rainy season" is usually the month of June, but some years it's longer--last summer we had cool weather with more rain than usual from spring right through fall, so I'm hopeful that this dump of water gets over with quickly and we get a real summer again!

We're in an interesting area for weather, as we're right in the foothills of the Rockies and fairly arid due to the Rocky Mtn rain shadow, but springs can be quite wet like what we're having now!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The yard and raised beds look great. Do you have gophers/moles?? I use wire on the bottoms of my beds. If I didn't I would have no veggies.

Just wondering.

g

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No gophers or moles, just skunks, big hares/jack rabbits, and Richardson Ground Squirrels which are our only local diggers.

The skunks and hares don't get past our fence and the ground squirrels tend not to venture too deep into suburban areas so we've never had any. Touch wood!

Oh, and we have deer because we're on the edge of the city, but our house is pretty close to the neighbors on either side so they don't generally venture down our side pathway to jump the fence or we'd have nothing. We're hoping to grow our potatoes in a box in the corner of the front yard next to a hedge that is between our yard and the neighbor, but we'll have to put chicken wire over them to keep them safe from the deer.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a difference a day makes, today dawned sunny and bright so we decided to get our new garden boxes in place:

garden-boxes-001.jpg

We spaced the 2x8' boxes a little wider apart than our reel lawn mower so we can mow between the
boxes, then laid down cardboard to kill the grass under the compost we ordered to fill the boxes.

garden-boxes-002.jpg

garden-boxes-003.jpg

garden-boxes-004.jpg

We then nailed copper pipe ties to the sides of the boxes to hold our hoops.

garden-boxes-005.jpg

garden-boxes-006.jpg

We found bent bamboo hoops to use for our garden boxes, they were cheaper
than the wire ones but hopefully they will hold up for a season or few!

garden-boxes-007.jpg

garden-boxes-008.jpg

Finally we clipped chicken wire to the hoops in order to keep our cats out :)
The clips are easily undone to allow access to the garden.

garden-boxes-009.jpg

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The keifer is awesome! It makes DH's stomach not hurt anymore. He carries his stress in his stomach, and since coming back from the war, he's been having bad stomach aches, and this is really helping!! THANKS!!!!!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chickensducks&agoose said:
The kefer is awesome! It makes DH's stomach not hurt anymore. He carries his stress in his stomach, and since coming back from the war, he's been having bad stomach aches, and this is really helping!! THANKS!!!!!!
I'm so glad to hear it!

I'll keep your hubs in my prayers as well, I'm sure none of us who haven't experienced combat have no idea. I have a friend who was a Canadian peacekeeper (Army) during the Bosnian War and she still can't talk about certain things that happened. And it really affects her every time we lose a soldier in Afghanistan.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
The photos weren't showing up on my computer last night. Looks good.

Is your keifer the one you use with milk or water?