More chickens!!!!!!!!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My dh is bringing home 3 more hens & 3 roosters today. So I will be up to 7 hens(my goal is 12). Someone he works with is getting divorced & does not want them anymore. We have not paid for any of our chickens to date, they have been given to us by others & the first batch I found on freecycle. So low overhead on them. We have 3 roosters already & 2 are headed for the soup pot. One of the new roosters is supposed to be a silkie(I will not butcher him) but the other 2 I will, I do not need 6 roosters!! Our RIR rooster is 11 yrs old & a rescue but he is gorgeous & very friendly, he likes to be held & loved on. So even though I will be getting more eggs there goes the feed bill up(I feed organic feed to my chickens). If I can get to 12 hens I can sell 5 dozen eggs a week & have ours be free, not to mention make a little bit of cash on the side too.
Between my hens, garden & pantry worse case scenario we would be eatting okay for quite awhile.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah! nothing like free food coming to the table, and delish food at that.

good for you! It is amazing how many people just give chickens away....around here in the paper they are "free" alot of times, but I never called fast enough..HA HA...others always beat me to it!

Silkies are cool! Just something different then the regular old chicken....kinda ornamental around the farm. I like that!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The guy did not show up with the chickens yesterday. Hope he did not take them today since dh is not at work today. He had a sleep study done last night & more testing today till 4. So maybe tomorrow we will get them. The pen is ready & waiting for them.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats! We started with five chicks, are down to 4 and I think the ones who are crowing might be finding their way back to the farm, too. So maybe 2 hens...:rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL it always happens when something is free it takes forever to get it..HA HA...timing is everything on deals like that..LOL

sleep study. yea Tony had one and it was kinda inconclusive cause he couldn't sleep good..HA HA...waste of money and time for everyone..LOL

oh well...hope his does well!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
krjwaj said:
Congrats! We started with five chicks, are down to 4 and I think the ones who are crowing might be finding their way back to the farm, too. So maybe 2 hens...:rolleyes:
We started with 8 hens & 1 rooster then a dog got into the pen & got 3 of the hens(he couldn't get the rooster?). Then we had a pullet just show up one morning from???? Then we lost 2 hens to the heat. Plus somewhere in there we got 2 given to us that were supposed to be 1 hen 1 rooster, both were roosters. Then the same guy who is giving us these others gave us the 10 yr old RIR(we will keep him). The other 2 roosters will be butchered when the weather is cooler. Hopefully this guy somes through today.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Karen, Dh already has a cpap machine as he has bad sleep apnea. But he just does not sleep well again & Dr wanted to reevaluate him & see if machine needs to be recalibrated. they don't let them sleep well as they keep waking him up to do different things. the guy did tell him he goes straight into REM sleep which he is not supposed to do. Hopefully next week we will get the results & see what the doc wants to do about it.

I have the pen ready, except for putting in the feed, water & clean straw in the nesting boxes. If Don calls me & says he has them then I will have it all ready when he gets home with them.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
10 yr old RIR(we will keep him).

****WOW--congrats to that RIR---not many birds live that old!!!! Mine sure don't..HA HA--the old man of the farm.

Oh I didn't know he was that bad with the sleep apnea. I read up on it and it can be quite devasting to the body. Sleep is so important and it needs to be a good safe sleep. I hope all works out for him!!!!!

I wish you were nearby.....I could give ya a few birds in a heartbeat..LOL..so many things we could trade and such. I could get your Zookies and I would give you a hen..LOL

To bad you are in AZ and I am in NC. So far to barter..HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I could easily mail you the zookies but it would be a lot harder to mail the hens wouldn't it?

I really wish I did not live here it is just so hard to grow things due to the heat & dryness we have. Plus it is hard to find green in the summer here, everything is brown.

Now our place up north is green as they get a lot more rain up there than we do. Seems the people are friendlier too up there. Only downside there are a lot of mormons & catholics up there & the other churches are very sparse(nothing against those religions, we are not them though so finding a church will be harder). Found out not to long ago there is a polygymist sect not to far from the town either. I have never seen any of the people but it is there. Next time we go up there we are going to do a little more driving around to see if we can find the compound.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't go getting yourself into trouble...like getting hypnotized or something by a cult..HA HA HA HA HA

I thought you typed MORONS and Catholics...HA HA HA

There are downsides to everywhere we live....just always look for the best ya can in your area and all is good then. From the farming you do, you sure make the best of your AZ weather!

NC has a nice climate so we are fortunate. It is never too extreme but the drought type situation is never good. I like states where you can hit the mountains and hit the swamps and hit the ocean. I can go all directions fairly close and get all the different scenery. I like that about NC.

At least you have the mountains to look forward too! :)

If I mail a hen to ya, it might be fried chicken by the time you get it..HA HA HA