More chickens!!!!!!!!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Fried chicken sounds pretty good, haven't had that in awhile. Not sure I want it fried with the feathers still on though. LOL
No chickens today either maybe on Monday we will get them. If I can get to my dozen hens then I will have enough eggs to sell & make about $5/mo over the cost of feed. So our eggs would be free then. We built a new pen for the ram last weekend & he is enjoying the larger area & he can see better out of it too. We put chain link between him & the cattle so niether can reach their heads between the Ibeam fencing that divides their pens.

Richard has decided to raise poultry for 4H this yr & Sat we are going to the fairgrounds for a event that is all about poultry & what is entailed for raising them for fair in March. So we will find out what is all required for us to do. He is thinking aobut a lamb for the next yr, but that is an expensive one as they are about $300 to purchase one. Then you add the feed on top of that too. Some kids just break even on their lambs which is scarry. The same is with the steers. I wouldn't be opposed to him doing a market goat next yr. They added those a couple yrs ago. We skipped the fair this yr, which was weird after all the yrs of Scott being in it.
Yes I am really looking forward to moving up north & having more acreage to pasture my animals. The place on the east side of us here(another 1 1/4 acres) is for sale(foreclosure) & we wish we could accquire it then we could put in 2 more cattle pens that we could get them going in pasture & have 3 pens to rotate them thru, sure would cut down on the feed bill. they are loving the 2 5 gal buckets packed full of grass I pull in the mornings to feed them(garden). Not to mention we would have more room for other livestock pens & more fruit & nut trees. The house we would just demolish it as he had about 12 cats in there. But oh well, Don needs to win that big lottery doesn't he?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
fried chicken with the feathers on---yuck, unappealing definitely. I haven't had fried chicken at least over 2 years..LOL..miss it and don't miss it..LOL

4H would be good for him. Great way to learn. but yea, it can get expensive when you do things like this but the learning experience is so good for him.

Too bad you can't buy that land. When my neighbor got divorced and put up her house, there was 3/4 acre between her home and mine and I bought it separate. Best buy I ever did....the new people who bought the house wanted to buy the land back but I said no....they were going to build like a 4 car garage so thank goodness I bought it and put that barrier between my house and theres. I park my camper there now......best buy I ever made! :)

A little more land for us is never a bad thing...HA HA...too bad we have to have money for everything! Maybe you could trade the ram for the land...in the olden days that might work..HA HA

yea win the lottery??? that is what I need also.

well....gotta go to the gym and workout. I pushed the other day and am sore, but time to hit the gym and firm up the flab..HA HA

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I love my chickens!! 40+ here and more to hatch, under a broody....and always thinking of more ways to sneak some in LOL

My husband has consented to getting me a 'bator, and I am working on lining up eggs for my first hatch!

Hmm...maybe I should count just how many I have??!

We have the ones for eggs, a few fancy breeds for the local 4-H'ers and some that are just purely for pets. :love

*Hi, my name is Aly and I am a chicken addict!*:love

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The county has posession of the land. A deputy came to my door inquiring about the man who owned it one day & I informed him I thought the guy had passed away(he had brain cancer last yr). So it will be dirt cheap to acquire it but no extra money at this time. My parents have thought about buying it but so far haven't found any info on it. I think they would buy it for us to raise more livestock & crops for them too. which would be fine with me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OH THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL!
My parents are cool with money also....my Mom firmly believes to help us kids when needed while she is alive....and if we need it now, to give anything she can now. She volunteers to pay for everything and I have to stop her sometimes...LOL (I am a lucky kid!)----she says why wait to inherit after I die, I would like to see you use the money and enjoy life! (Hey, I agree Mom..LOL)

Your parents are great to do that if you could acquire the land. Call the county tax office. Find out who is in lien of the land right now...they can tell you I believe. If I were you I would track that land down come heck or high water and make a deal on the side before it has to come out in public.....you can do that. Most land never makes the public sale if you can contact the owner or mortgagee and make a deal now.....best of luck on that! Go for it, track it down and see how low you can get. Cheap land is hard to find and those foreclosures and all can save ya alot of money!

Fingers crossed for ya it might work out!! :)

Latest posts