MORE two legged puppies... ORGANIC FOOD COSTS worth the price?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ticks, any avoidance of chemicals in our food sources benefits us and our animals. On a cellular level, chemicals can impede the proper function of the cells and even cause them to mutate, or become dysplagic~precancerous. Some heavy metals attach to nerve endings and prevent proper synapsis of nerve impulses.

Most commercial pesticides and herbicides are known carcinogens. They are very difficult to eliminate from the body, especially in someone with compromised health.

Now, of course, we have modified seed that contains its own herbicides, fungicides and pesticides. The far reaching effect of these types of seeds have not been discovered yet, but they are thought to be one of the reasons for CCD, the phenomenon that is affecting the honey bees and causing whole hives to be found empty with only a few dead bees to tell the tale.

Organically grown foods do not use artificial means to control bugs and weeds. They don't have harmful chemicals that store up in the muscles and organs of our animals and get passed on to us, there to be stored and accumulated until they affect our health.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Thanks Bee. I'm still not big on the price of Organic. I allow my chickens to free range though, and that has to be better than eating regular food in a run all day.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Definitely, I'm not too big on those prices you listed either. Highway robbery when your trying to feed 250+ chickens :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ticks said:
Thanks Bee. I'm still not big on the price of Organic. I allow my chickens to free range though, and that has to be better than eating regular food in a run all day.
I agree. I do the same thing. The local SS buys their corn from local farmers and I know its too much to hope that they haven't used any pesticides and such, but at least they are less likely to do so than the big producers.

Organic is too costly. Not adding to and depending upon the processed, medicated feeds is about the best I can do. So...no vaccines or antibiotics for my flock, no pelleted feeds, no animal by-products, more whole grains, etc.

The addition of sprouted grains, veggies, fruits and what they forage during free ranging will have to be the healthiest I can afford. :rolleyes: