Mosquite Bite Prevention

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello fellow sufficient selfers,

We've been on the warpath and research mode seeking "natural" remedies for PREVENTING :hide mosquito bites. We've done the Google search. Wondering if there are any wives tales, 4-1-1, whatever on the matter that you kind people would be willing to share?

We came up with the following as a list of plants which supposedly prohibit mosquitos (www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/print_article.php?articleId=4451):

Horsement, rosemary, Marigolds, Ageratum, Mosquito Plants, and Catnip.

So, now we can have ornamentals AND drive mosquitos away.

I'm sure there are other things, remedies. You say what? Thanks.

L&L

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've read that lemon balm and basil are good mosquito repellent plants. On occassion, I'll pick leaves of both and rub on any exposed skin. It works okay in cool weather but not so much in the heat of summer.

This article lists a few more herbs that are supposed to repel them.

I've also read the skeeters can't/wont fly or be a bother when it's windy...someone really needs to explain this to southern skeeters as the wind doesn't slow ours down at all! I've explained this "fact" to them many times as I'm donating blood to them but they just won't listen! :gig

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Higher levels of all B vitamins will go a long ways towards good defense from the inside.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Other methods include dumping out and preventing the collection of standing water. They breed in it. If you have a pond, put mosquito fish in it. Cover or drain pools, etc.

I haven't been bitten by a mosquito in quite a while. I wonder if it has anything to do with the garlic I eat? :p
I eat a ton of garlic and they LOVE to bite me. They seem to prefer certain people. They never bite my husband, and I'm sure it isn't his B vitamin level, he is not one to consciously eat a healthy diet and I'm sure he must be lacking in B. They also bite only ONE of my three children, the other two seem to have inherited whatever my husband has. They do occasionally get bit, but it never fails if a mosquito is in the room, it finds me.

I have to laugh to think how my kitties would react to me if I rubbed catnip on myself! But this thread interests me because I hate those commercial mosquito repellents like DEET. That stuff DISSOLVES your nail polish. What does that tell you about how safe it is? I find it very irritating to the skin as well and personally would rather not use that product.

autumnprairie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
I've read that lemon balm and basil are good mosquito repellent plants. On occassion, I'll pick leaves of both and rub on any exposed skin. It works okay in cool weather but not so much in the heat of summer.

I've also read the skeeters can't/wont fly or be a bother when it's windy...someone really needs to explain this to southern skeeters as the wind doesn't slow ours down at all! I've explained this "fact" to them many times as I'm donating blood to them but they just won't listen! :gig
I feel your pain, litterally, I to live in Arkansas Biscoe in between the White and Cache river. I have them year round.
I have a recipe that works

1tsp catnip essential oil
8 oz rubbing alcohol
8oz of water

mix all together spray on as needed.
you will repel mosquitoes but not cats, they like to lick it off.

it is also nontoxic since the alcohol evaporates
great for kids,
:thumbsup
they also say you can take 100mg of thiamine a day but I have not tried that

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, AutumnPrairie; good looking out.

I have never heard of this catnip EO. I make soap and I've never seen it from the EO providers. When you can, please give us a heads up as to where it may be purchased. Cool beans about the non-toxic component too.

L

autumnprairie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:

I have never heard of this catnip EO. I make soap and I've never seen it from the EO providers. When you can, please give us a heads up as to where it may be purchased. Cool beans about the non-toxic component too.

L
I buy my essential oils from two places

1. snow drift farm

2. mountain rose herbs

I would have included their websites but due to spam and being a new user I can't? oh well

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
lee&lyric said:

L

1. snow drift farm

2. mountain rose herbs

I would have included their websites but due to spam and being a new user I can't? oh well
Plus, there are laws here about linking. Ask me how I know :pop. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup.

autumnprairie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
autumnprairie said:
lee&lyric said:

L

1. snow drift farm

2. mountain rose herbs

Plus, there are laws here about linking. Ask me how I know :pop. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup.
when you make your soap do you use essential oils or fragrances. and where do you buy yours?

I am also a LMT and try to incorporate my oils in my massage sessions, there is another thread that I need to add this info too; about herbals and pain.
( sorry I also have a bad habit of typinh what I am thinking too.)
I love to talk herbs and oils I could do this all day.
so I will leave it from here.