Mosquite Bite Prevention

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
when you make your soap do you use essential oils or fragrances. and where do you buy yours?
I use both with FO's being utlized more often than not :/. I wish to use only EO's (alas, I can not afford to do so. Or, at least, that's what I keep telling myself. Perhaps I should cease doing that). I have always tended to purchase per best price; i.e., what's on sale. Some of my favs in the past have been: The Scent Works, From Nature With Love, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Southern Scents, Bear Labs (for lotions and body butters) to name a few.

autumnprairie said:
I am also a LMT and try to incorporate my oils in my massage sessions, there is another thread that I need to add this info too; about herbals and pain. ( sorry I also have a bad habit of typing what I am thinking too.) I love to talk herbs and oils I could do this all day. so I will leave it from here.
Oh, I'm a girl after your own hear then. Aromatherapy intrigues me and I know we should be incorporating it more in our family life. I keep playing the I can't afford EO game in my head though. :rolleyes: Having worked in a hospital it bothers me that pain can not be almost eliminated with all the other "things" mankind has accomplished. I do not like to see people in pain so keep up your good work and research, please. If we must take the topic off line, not a prob. on my part. We are prepping to move onto our farm and I KNOW we will need to learn more of herbs AND oils.

Thanks, AP.

Lyric

autumnprairie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
autumnprairie said:
when you make your soap do you use essential oils or fragrances. and where do you buy yours?
I use both with FO's being utlized more often than not :/. I wish to use only EO's (alas, I can not afford to do so. Or, at least, that's what I keep telling myself. Perhaps I should cease doing that). I have always tended to purchase per best price; i.e., what's on sale. Some of my favs in the past have been: The Scent Works, From Nature With Love, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Southern Scents, Bear Labs (for lotions and body butters) to name a few.

autumnprairie said:
I am also a LMT and try to incorporate my oils in my massage sessions, there is another thread that I need to add this info too; about herbals and pain. ( sorry I also have a bad habit of typing what I am thinking too.) I love to talk herbs and oils I could do this all day. so I will leave it from here.
Oh, I'm a girl after your own hear then. Aromatherapy intrigues me and I know we should be incorporating it more in our family life. I keep playing the I can't afford EO game in my head though. :rolleyes: Having worked in a hospital it bothers me that pain can not be almost eliminated with all the other "things" mankind has accomplished. I do not like to see people in pain so keep up your good work and research, please. If we must take the topic off line, not a prob. on my part. We are prepping to move onto our farm and I KNOW we will need to learn more of herbs AND oils.

Thanks, AP.

Lyric
some are very expensive but since you are using FO you are using twice as much FO as you would EO example your citrus or spearmint
in my lip balms I only use about 2ml of EO in about a cup of lip balm which is 16 .5 oz containers. dont compare amounts and they are usually the last step so they dont cook out in the soap.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
Dawn419 said:
I've read that lemon balm and basil are good mosquito repellent plants. On occassion, I'll pick leaves of both and rub on any exposed skin. It works okay in cool weather but not so much in the heat of summer.

I've also read the skeeters can't/wont fly or be a bother when it's windy...someone really needs to explain this to southern skeeters as the wind doesn't slow ours down at all! I've explained this "fact" to them many times as I'm donating blood to them but they just won't listen! :gig
I feel your pain, litterally, I to live in Arkansas Biscoe in between the White and Cache river. I have them year round.
I have a recipe that works

1tsp catnip essential oil
8 oz rubbing alcohol
8oz of water

mix all together spray on as needed.
you will repel mosquitoes but not cats, they like to lick it off.

it is also nontoxic since the alcohol evaporates
great for kids,
:thumbsup
they also say you can take 100mg of thiamine a day but I have not tried that
Welcome to the forum, first off! :frow

And thank you for the recipe, secondly! :hugs

autumnprairie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
autumnprairie said:
Dawn419 said:
I've read that lemon balm and basil are good mosquito repellent plants. On occassion, I'll pick leaves of both and rub on any exposed skin. It works okay in cool weather but not so much in the heat of summer.

I've also read the skeeters can't/wont fly or be a bother when it's windy...someone really needs to explain this to southern skeeters as the wind doesn't slow ours down at all! I've explained this "fact" to them many times as I'm donating blood to them but they just won't listen! :gig
I feel your pain, litterally, I to live in Arkansas Biscoe in between the White and Cache river. I have them year round.
I have a recipe that works

1tsp catnip essential oil
8 oz rubbing alcohol
8oz of water

mix all together spray on as needed.
you will repel mosquitoes but not cats, they like to lick it off.

it is also nontoxic since the alcohol evaporates
great for kids,
:thumbsup
they also say you can take 100mg of thiamine a day but I have not tried that
Welcome to the forum, first off! :frow

And thank you for the recipe, secondly! :hugs
No problem :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grow garlic chives in my garden. I got the seeds at Walmart. Since I like garlic and I like chives, I thought garlic chives would be great in scrambled eggs, etc. They make me belch huge loud gassy stinky breath burps! (and I have a cast iron stomach) Then I discovered that rubbing a garlic chive leaf or two on me kept the mosquitos at bay. No bites! Thus the garlic chives earned their spot in the garden. They grow year round, their leaves are flat and they smell garlicy.

autumnprairie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
baymule said:
I grow garlic chives in my garden. I got the seeds at Walmart. Since I like garlic and I like chives, I thought garlic chives would be great in scrambled eggs, etc. They make me belch huge loud gassy stinky breath burps! (and I have a cast iron stomach) Then I discovered that rubbing a garlic chive leaf or two on me kept the mosquitos at bay. No bites! Thus the garlic chives earned their spot in the garden. They grow year round, their leaves are flat and they smell garlicy.
if they work in east texas they may work in east Arkansas, I will be buying garlic chive seeds next spring.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Hey, I'll try this eve. and tomorrow a.m. as I take the puppies out to do their thing. Let's see if Central FL skeeters understand English. Then again, perhaps I should try Swahili. :lol: