Mosquito bites

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Does anyone have something that will work to take the itch away?

My daughter and I have been the ones picked on the last few days, the bites on me end up about the size of a quarter - red, swollen and hard.
They itch like the dickens, I've found the regular store bought itch stoppers don't work very well at all.

Also is there something I can take to stop my blood tasting so damn good? I've got some garlic pills I need to start back up taking, but I thought somewhere along the line I heard Vit B or something helps as well.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
This season I've discovered vinegar to take the sting and itch out of mosquito and ant bites. It works pretty well for me -- I find pickling vinegar to work better than ACV but either is better than nothing -- as long as I apply it when the sting/bite is still fresh. On old ones, it doesnt' do much for me.

It's been a very dry, and thus un-skeeter-y, year for us til this past weekend when apparently a large cohort all hatched out at once and WHOA NELLY are they here now. I'm trying a commercial garlic-oil spray to try to keep them away from the house and cat run. Not sure yet whether it is doing any good. Will also try it as a spray on the horses.

Good luck,

Pat

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I tried to make a spray last year for the horse, with citronella, garlic and a bunch of other things, it worked but for a very short time. I also tried it mixed with a lotion base - same thing.

We have had over 10 inches of rain this month alone, its PERFECT for mosquito's who have come out in force. I have to mow some lawn down and trim bushes, because thats where they are gathering..

(IF they would suck fat instead of blood well we'd be in business!)

I'll try the vinegar, I'm sure to get another bite the second I step out the door!

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We always use rubbing alcohol. It especially works if you've already scratched the bite too much :ep

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Also is there something I can take to stop my blood tasting so damn good? I've got some garlic pills I need to start back up taking, but I thought somewhere along the line I heard Vit B or something helps as well.
I think i've heard vitamin b12 to repel mosquitoes. I think it's my aunt who swears by it.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Wildsky said:
I think i've heard vitamin b12 to repel mosquitoes. I think it's my aunt who swears by it.
Thats it, I "heard" that when I was a kid.

I now smell like a pickle! I just poured vinegar on a cloth and wiped my legs... LOL seems to work ok nothing is itching right now!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wipe it with rubbing alcohol and then apply a piece of scotch tape over the bite for a few hours. Weird, but it works - my kids are so allergic that they swell up to golf ball size, but the tape trick prevents it.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Wipe it with rubbing alcohol and then apply a piece of scotch tape over the bite for a few hours. Weird, but it works - my kids are so allergic that they swell up to golf ball size, but the tape trick prevents it.
I will try that, I also swell up - its crazy! Thankfully my kids just get a red little mark, and no swelling for the most part, but they do itch!
Strange this year that my daughter has more bites than her brother, its normally the other way round.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
A plain ole bar of dial soap. Just the regular kind. (yellow bar with not fuufuu smells)

Rub dry soap on bite will stop the itching and keeps the swelling down.

However, I am allergic like Javamamma's kids. So I will be using that alcohol and tape thing. I have opened bars of dial soap laying all over the place.