Mosquito bites

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have heard that witch hazel applied with a pad works to keep the mosquitoes away. A woman went camping and discovered this...she brought witch hazel to clean her face with in the morning and at night and when she woke up the next morning the mosquitoes had bitten her everywhere except where she had applied the witch hazel.

In a pinch I have used chapstick on the bites to stop them from itching. Sounds silly but it works.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
peachychick said:
There is a weed that grows on roadsides, near ditches, wasteland areas called plantain. It looks similar to a hosta that many grow in shady landscaped areas. You can google to find a picture.
Pull the leaves off and tear into small pieces, releasing the "juice" inside, then rub on your bites. It works on mosquitos, horsefly, and no see-ums, that I know of.
Unfortunately it does not prevent bites.
Kelli
http://herb.umd.umich.edu/herb/search.pl?searchstring=Plantago+major

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PLMA2

Here are a couple of links for Plantago major

Looks like the natives used it for a lot of other things, including pain. Very interesting.

peachychick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
That's the stuff! I didn't know the latin name for it. Guess I had bananas on the brain this morning ;).
We have different varieties on the property. Some are narrow leaf and some broad. They both seem to work equally well.
Also it's on the internet that Lysterine will repel mosquitos. Sprayed on plants and bushes around the patio it will run them away. Have not tried this, but Lysterine contains thymol-- a chemical that's also in oregano. I'm experimenting now with an EVOO/oregano infusion that we (I) could try slathering on before going out in the evenings. Pure plant oils can cause burns, so I'm hoping that infusing and then cutting it down further with another oil (coconut) will do the trick.
I think lavender is another plant that's supposed to repel them.
Kelli

LetsBeSelfSufficient

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've been getting gnawed on by mosquitoes this summer, but tea tree oil has helped quite a bit! A little dab of it knocks out the itch, and within 10 minutes they start to fade. :D

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The homeopathic remedy called Ledum in 30c can be incredibly effective is alleviating allergic reaction to mosquito bites, which sounds like some of you here have. Most good health food stores carry it.

Also, get some tea tree oil and put it in your favorite lotion and apply daily. The bugs will stay away.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Great thread! I have a son who is a major itchy scratcher :)

I heard at the farmer's market this Sat that rubbing basil on one's skin prevents bug bites. I haven't tested it out, but it would sure smell great!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi Me&thegals!! :)

Blackbird makes homemade goat's milk soap with plantain in it. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

(Coming from the south, I first thought it was "plantain" as in the banana family. :p )

I've got to try the tea-tree oil, I have a stash of that. No-see-ums are bad here in August, and they leave a nasty mark.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Oooooooo I will try the tea tree oil, I have a bottle in the bathroom and bites to try it on! :D

I bought a very expensive trap, I just couldn't take it anymore and the trap has made a HUGE difference.

I bait it with warm water and mixed in sugar, soap (drop) and some yeast - it smells really bad, but it catches mozzies and flies like crazy! :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Update:
The tea tree oil is the BOMB. Works right away, and I'd say most times the itch has come back, but after a day or so - then another dab and its gone again.

I must have gone through a 1/4 bottle already between me and the kids... we just dip a q-tip in and dab it on all the bites we have and we're good till the next day or bite (whichever comes first)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll have to try the tea tree oil. I have tons of it.

I use witch hazel sometimes, have gotten relief from alcohol, but my favorite so far is a combination of essential oils sold under the name "tei-Fu" by Nature's Sunshine. I think it has camphor and wintergreen, by the smell of it. Not sure what else. But I'll try the tea tree. The tei-Fu is very pricy, and I prefer to save it for headaches, which it usually knocks out instantly for me.

I tried taking vit B as a repellant and didn't see any effectiveness at all. I'll definitely try the vanilla. :)

Latest posts