Mosquito repellent

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I was just sent this as an email....could not get the pictures of the nasty little things to copy though.

This is for all you happy campers and back yard BBQ people. Have a great summer free of the little pests !!!

Mosquito Spray....Worth a try
I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it......Pass it on.

COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

I need this for softball! The park is right next to the swamp and these nasty little things just eat us alive!

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My recipe calls for a few drops of a citrus dishwashing liquid- and a citrus Listerine. works well for us.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I have citrus listerine....just no spray bottle.

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We also use one of those 3 gallon hand pump sprayers--with the ingredients added to water.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Thanks PamsPride for the Listerine mosquito repellent idea. I will definitely be trying this!
Wonder how this works for hiking in wet woods? Just spray on the clothes or is it primarily a yard spray?

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
spraying around our yard made a big differnce--no didn't knock them out completely, but did help a lot. I think the dishwashing liquid was soapy enough to coat them. We found that the bounce thing didn't work at all--and as far as mice were concerned, the mice used the bounce sheets for a "litter box". Avon Skin so Soft is ok, but not as effective as everyone says. Am working on a citronella soap--that might help.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I bought one of these last year and it works GREAT!!!

http://mosquitocentral.com/5100.htm

It runs on a 20lb propane bottle just like your bbq grill. A tank will last 3 weeks or so running the machine 24/7 It was worth EVERY penny we paid for it!!

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make a wound salve for both humans and animals that contains both lavender and palmerosa essential oils and it is a great insect repellent. I made it originally to help heal a bad wound on one of my goats and to keep the flies away from the wound, but it works for mosquitos too. The insect repellent properties don't last all that long, but it does work well and it's all natural.