Most important character trait

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
What was the tv programme? We don't get cable, but it sounds interesting and perhaps it's something I could find online.
It was a Canadian documenary - one of those visit-and-learn-about another country kinds of programs... something digging deeper than just the historical sites and good food sort of travelogues. I thnk it was on Knowledge Network. I don't know if it was part of a series with a title, or just a one-off doc. Sorry on that.

KnightMare

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wisdom is the result of good judgement which is the result of experience which is usually the result of bad judgement, or so I've heard.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
moolie said:
What was the tv programme? We don't get cable, but it sounds interesting and perhaps it's something I could find online.
It was a Canadian documenary - one of those visit-and-learn-about another country kinds of programs... something digging deeper than just the historical sites and good food sort of travelogues. I thnk it was on Knowledge Network. I don't know if it was part of a series with a title, or just a one-off doc. Sorry on that.
No worries! We don't get Knowledge Network in AB, but I'll see what I can find online anyway :)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1. Trustworthy
2. loyal
3. Helpful
4. Friendly
5. Courteous
6. Kind.
7. Obedient.
8. Cheerful
9. Thrifty
10. Brave
11. Clean
12. Reverent
Don't ask me how I know these. I memorized them when I was 12 years old. I was brought up believing these were the things that were expected of all of us. But if you notice, trustworthy is at the top of the list.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know exactly where that's from, and I memorized something similar when I was 9 years old. I've forgotten the exact wording that was used when I was a girl, as I've stayed in the organization so long, but currently for the Girl Guides of Canada...

I Promise to do my best,
To be true to myself, my beliefs and Canada
I will take action for a better world
And respect the Guiding Law.

The Guiding Law challenges me to:
be honest and trustworthy
use my resources wisely
respect myself and others
recognize and use my talents and abilities
protect our common environment
live with courage and strength
share in the sisterhood of Guiding

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
1. Trustworthy
2. loyal
3. Helpful
4. Friendly
5. Courteous
6. Kind.
7. Obedient.
8. Cheerful
9. Thrifty
10. Brave
11. Clean
12. Reverent
Don't ask me how I know these. I memorized them when I was 12 years old. I was brought up believing these were the things that were expected of all of us. But if you notice, trustworthy is at the top of the list.
Those (overall) are the qualities of a good neighbor or citizen. I agree with them, almost entirely - in the context of neighborliness. Some people would question whether unyielding obedience is always the best attitude for an adult. (Endless debates can stem from that one!)

As a friend to people, I expect helpful, friendly, kind, and cheerful of myself - and tend to expect it, also, of those I'd call 'my friend'.

Where does sisu come in, then?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Joel B.C. said:
What is sisu? You refer to it in the sentence above but I have never seen that word before.
As for obedience, no one is expected to be "unyielding". That would require the " Nuremberg defense" and we all know that is not a viable option.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay, you got me on that one. I had forgotten to refer all the way back to that particular word because I she said there is no English equivalent. However, I would tend to think that if you put all 12 of those characteristics together it would in someway comprise the concept of SISU!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Icu4dzs said:
1. Trustworthy
2. loyal
3. Helpful
4. Friendly
5. Courteous
6. Kind.
7. Obedient.
8. Cheerful
9. Thrifty
10. Brave
11. Clean
12. Reverent
Don't ask me how I know these. I memorized them when I was 12 years old. "A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent." Yes I was a Boy Scout too! To bad that it isn't considered to be P.C. anymore~gd

I was brought up believing these were the things that were expected of all of us. But if you notice, trustworthy is at the top of the list.
Those (overall) are the qualities of a good neighbor or citizen. I agree with them, almost entirely - in the context of neighborliness. Some people would question whether unyielding obedience is always the best attitude for an adult. (Endless debates can stem from that one!)

As a friend to people, I expect helpful, friendly, kind, and cheerful of myself - and tend to expect it, also, of those I'd call 'my friend'.