Most important to Grow in the garden for food

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I did plant some Mammoth sunflowers this year!
We all love sunflowers & the seeds. I have several varieties of sunflowers.

I can never find just Black bean seeds. There is always some fancy name for them LOL
Dry black beans from the grocery store. ;) What do you think @flowerbug ?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grow Painted Mountain corn for cornmeal. I let it mature and mostly dry on the stalk. Be careful to not let it get rained on or the corn will mold and start to sprout. I pick, pull the shucks back, tie in bunches and hang to finish drying. I break off the shucks and spread on a table inside, then rub the kernels off the cobs at night, watching TV. I have a Family Grain Mill.

67CA00B9-110F-49E3-B260-FA660F263771.jpeg

73A94208-9624-4E99-ADAE-43948FA2A265.jpeg

Manda_Rae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grow Painted Mountain corn for cornmeal. I let it mature and mostly dry on the stalk. Be careful to not let it get rained on or the corn will mold and start to sprout. I pick, pull the shucks back, tie in bunches and hang to finish drying. I break off the shucks and spread on a table inside, then rub the kernels off the cobs at night, watching TV. I have a Family Grain Mill.

View attachment 19122

View attachment 19121
That is one of the varieties we planted this year!!! First time trying it. I also got double red, blue and regular yellow sweet corn.

Manda_Rae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have found that bush beans have a shorter season than vining beans. If you want to can a lot at one time, plant bush beans. If you want to eat fresh beans until frost, plant vining beans.
I have Green bush beans and Burgundy bush beans. This will be the 3rd year i grow them!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to focus on high yielding, long-keeping veggies this year. I have hell with tomatoes - don't know why I even bother. Corn- eh. Takes a lot of room. Most years we get so much rain it topples over - this might have been a decent year to plant it - but it also takes a lot of water.

My big hopes this year are sweet potatoes, winter squash, green beans, okra, black-eye and red ripper peas. Most of those are quite ok with our ridiculous temps right now. Green beans are suffering a little. Forgot about cukes. Should pick a few later in the week or early next week.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers are a good bang for your buck to grow at home.

With the price of cabbage at H-mart, I'm not big on growing it. They always have good looking produce as well.

Squash grow very well here. It's one of the most cost efficient things to grow for me. Summer squash is a good chicken food supplement. The large fowl like smaller ones, but the silkies like the older ones and love the seeds.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good question... I would say beans and legumes, it kind of hard to go wrong with those. I should grow more than I do. Like navy beans, which we eat several times a year. We make up a big pot of ham beans and can the remaining to eat throughout the year. I've been wanting to try and grow peanuts. I might try them next year as something new.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸