Most important to Grow in the garden for food

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plants take time and care. I want my garden to give what I eat most, is healthy and saves me money. Otherwise why do it? So, I like asparagus -- once in a while is all I eat it. Not devoting the time and energy for a bed of it. I can buy once a yr :hu take a look at what you eat before planting. We get excited over reports about veggies but, trade off with another to try first. A too big garden can work you out of the purpose of growing anything.

Often I put out a couple extra plants of things my animals can/will eat.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's the "never again" thing you've grown? For me it was salsify. The then wife wanted it after having it in a casserole once. The plants were finicky and a pain to deal with

I know salsify is a domesticated variety but I still have a hard time with the fact that what was a weed growing up is a food plant. It's like with dandelion which has different cultivars as well for leaf or root.

I can't handle cilantro in the garden. Just can't deal with the leaf smell that lingers if you brush it, but i do like the coriander smell. Odd how the seed is fine but not the leaf for me.