Mouse in the House

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep we have stone walls around our property, good hiding spots for sure!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with this warm spell i reset the traps this afternoon... not much confirmed action on them but i did see some little mouse nerds near one of the traps so they are around out there.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
still warm. was able to get out today to check the traps i'd set yesterday. a few of them showed signs of being licked by mice so i set them to be a bit more sensitive and hope they'll return for dessert this evening.

i also checked out the AC unit which was a previous nesting site for them and made sure it was not being used again. it checked out ok. i also looked underneath it to make sure there were no gaps that mice could be using. that also looked as it should.

then i swept out the entrance to the crawl space which is right next to the AC unit to get rid of any mouse nerds in there so i can keep track of how much it is being used by mice. it wasn't too bad. we're not storing hoses in there like we did last year so the mice have nothing in there to hide within to start thinking of building a nest.

since it was nice enough out i took the wheel off the wheelbarrow that needs to be fixed (new rubber and tube needed) and swept the garage. didn't see a single mouse nerd in the garage. :)

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have mouse problems too. There are a dozen "barn cats" outside and they took care of the big problems a few years ago when I would come home at night and see 20 + rats run everywhere in the open garage building because the farmer that owns this place was storing feed there in uncovered bins. A real nightmare. There were always a few mice in the house. The house is a 1750's stone house, with brick addition and stone foundation. A real easy spot for them to get in and out.
I have used every kind of trap and find that the old fashioned snap traps work for awhile. I have good luck with the sticky traps. Put them in the spots where they "run" and will catch some of them. I have a cat that will actually pull them off the sticky trap. I will carry it out the door, call her and hold it tight on both sides and she will pull it off the trap and take off with it. There are still some in here, and sometimes it will take a few weeks to get them. There are a couple that I am hearing and I want them to be gone so am using several types to get them. Never see any outside and the cats cannot get into the basement to get them. It gets too cold to leave any doors even cracked as the cold air will seep up through the floor and then the heat runs all the time. I really hate mice and rats.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend of mine once had a ferret as a pet. It would ride around on his shoulders and head. That ferret was a chick magnet, all the girls loved that thing for some odd reason.
Hahaha. thats funny.. the ferret being a chick magnet.. hahaha... I coz i wont let that thing a meter near me.. 😜😜😜

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i hate to jinx myself my saying this but there hasn't been any more noises in the walls since i caught some mice outside the house along that wall. no more mice tracks in any of the recent snows we've had either (the snow is mostly melted off already). i still don't know how they are getting in though. that's the most annoying part of this...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husky and my house cat would compete to catch the mice in the old farmhouse I rented. The husky was a pretty good mouser. I knew who caught the mouse in the morning - the cat would eat everything but the tail, spine and head (ick) leaving a blood spot on the kitchen floor and the husky would either eat it whole or hide it between the couch cushions.