1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 4 Thieves Vinegar - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Mouse in the House

Discussion in 'Dogs, Cats and Other Pets' started by CrealCritter, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Jul 19, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

We live in the country, so yeah we have mice. I can't say we are infested or anything like that. We have traps set out and occasionally we get a mouse in one.

Over the last week I kept seeing a mouse. At first it was rare than I started seeing it more frequently. I would go to the kitchen and there's a mouse, bathroom there's a mouse, go on the porch see a mouse. Well, yesterday morning I woke up to find a mouse sleeping on my stomach. Still half asleep and without my glasses have double vision, I went to go grab the little bastard. I missed and it ran down my leg and sat on my knee staring at me. When I went to grab it again it jumped off the bed and disappeared. All day yesterday no matter where I went in the house I had this little mouse staring at me. I tried to catch it multiple times but never could.

Last night I was laying on the couch checking on my most favorite website sufficient self on my cell phone and yep you guessed there's the mouse on my knee watching me :( I don't know why but I called this mouse Gerald. But I had enough of this bull .... So I went and got one of the traps and made sure it was baited with peanut butter and set it down in the kitchen corner.

Sure enough Gerald found it in like 10 seconds. I watched the little bastard clean off the trap and run under the door into my bedroom. So I re-baited the trap and went to bed. This morning I expected to wake up and see Gerald sleeping on my stomach but he wasn't there. I went into the kitchen to start the coffee pot, looked in the corner and there's Gerald dead in the trap, I was happy as I could be without having a cup of coffee yet. I gave Gerald a proper funeral, by tossing him in the toilet and flushing him down into the septic tank :)

I know most all animals like me, its been that way every since I can remember, so I'm kind of used to it. But I sure don't want no little gray field mouse as a pet. RIP Gerald, you won't be missed :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Hinotori, baymule, sumi and 2 others like this.
  2. Jul 19, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

:lol: RIP, Gerald. :clap

3. Jul 19, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

:th Gerald sounds adorable. o_O

We had a mouse problem in a double wide that we were living in - so we got a couple of kittens from a friend. She said the parents were barn cats and real good hunters. The male would occasionally catch a mouse, then run through the house with it in his mouth - usually holding it by its tail. He would play with it, then let it go when he was tired of that game... His sister was terrified of mice.
    About 6 months later, DH went to do a repair on something under the house and discovered that the previous owner tried to do a repair on something, sliced the plastic on the underside of the house, and tried to seal it shut with duck-tape. The ducktape didn't hold and the plastic flopped down to the ground and took the insulation with it. It formed a 5' wide super-highway for the mice to get into the house. With some real duct-tape and a staple gun to repair the plastic, 2 bucket traps and a month later we were virtually mouse free.

Hinotori and Mini Horses like this.
  4. Jul 19, 2019
    CrealCritter

OK I'll give you that much. Gerald was kind of cute, with those big eyes, little nose and whiskers. But he was a mouse!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Mini Horses likes this.
  5. Jul 20, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Um... @CrealCritter I'm sure you won't miss Gerald. I give it 3 days before you are visited by Geraldine, and all of her children. They will stare at you with those beady little eyes, pleading with you to tell them where their daddy has gone. Of course, suffice it to say, Geraldine has never been at a loss for appropriate suitors, and will hardly miss Gerald. B/C, the courtship will commence immediately. They will dine on delectable little pantry morsels before retiring to the boudoir for a bit of romance.

Hinotori, sumi, CrealCritter and 2 others like this.
  6. Jul 20, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

:gig:yuckyuck:gig

tortoise likes this.
  7. Jul 21, 2019
    CrealCritter

I'm happy to say I haven't seen a mouse since Gerald met his maker. :)

Lazy Gardener likes this.
  8. Jul 22, 2019
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

What??? You didn't keep him in your pocket so you could take him out once in a while to talk to him and pet him?? Wasn't that required reading for you in school? What do they teach people in school these days??:lol:

9. Jul 26, 2019
    CrealCritter

Gerald was reincarnated. I swear... what is it with these little gray mice and sitting on my knee?

Today same behavior, see a mouse in every room, lay of the couch to watch TV and there's Gerald reincarnated sitting on my knee, staring at me. Reincarnated Gerald still likes peanut butter. RIP reincarnated Gerald again, enjoy the septic tank little buddy - YOU WON'T BE MISSED.
    IMG_20190726_244620150.jpg

baymule likes this.
  10. Jul 26, 2019
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

You need my dogs and cats. They are are aggressive rodent killers. Too many holes I can't get to into this ancient house. Bat ears will stop at nothing to kill them. That GSD hates rodents.

baymule likes this.