Moving Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am getting messages from members who are dissatisfied with the direction SS is going in. Sufficient Self isn't about family drama. No one person was singled out, there have been several threads posted by several members. Please let's stick to the point and leave our personal dealings with other family members to other forums. We need to keep our focus on living in a self sufficient manner and sharing what we've learned.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
That is so true. It's hard to sift through pages of personl banter, although I do think that sometimes there are SS things to be learned from stories that ask for how to help with this situation or another. QA's anniversary thing for example- the splitting of the events as a frugality solution.

Could there be a place that the moderator (Oh, that's you,) could move any threads that deteriorate to strictly personal back and forth so that it would not be neccessary to ready every post to see if there is meat in it? If it would not be too much work for you?

:D

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I think what she is saying is that she really does not want to have to move things or have to sift through stuff either.
She seems to be asking that people just refrain from posting about their personal life that does not involve anything relating to the premise of this forum.
We are adults so she should not have to monitor anything that deteriorates into back and forth personal stuff, it just shouldn't happen.
I think this is a valid point and should be respected.

Keljonma, as far as keeping that stuff in journals, thats why they were created in the first place and now that you have pointed that out I am wondering why so much is posted in the main forums and not in the journals.
What is the deal with that? Are people not looking at the journals enough that things are getting posted in the main forum to get the attention the poster wants?
I don't know, I really don't pay any attention to any of the journals myself, just wondering though.
Are they dying off?
Better yet, people could just create a blog on their own websites and then if anyone wants to hear about their personal lives they can go over there, that way there would not be so much spillage over here out of these journals.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I have observed that many on this forum don't even consider the SS advice gathered by some of the more experienced. If one is not part of the "in social group gossiping about family drama" the serious replies to SS questions are often glossed over or overtly attacked.
In my case I have nearly quit sharing any advice. With the exception of a small handful, most of the rest don't have my experience in many SS ways. Yes I'm blunt, but after months of reading, it is very true. The number of closed minds I find is sad.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I would have to agree that there is a lot more personal stuff being posted lately. Perhaps that stuff does belong in members personal journals than general posts.

I prefer to discuss SS lifestyles and learn things form this site than to hear about folk's personal family stuff.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Zenbirder, please be blunt. You have expressed the feelings openly here that others have shared with me via PMs and e-mail. The journals are where personal business belongs (if it belongs here at all), and to tell you the truth I'm not reading every single journal entry, I just don't have the time. If you really need to post in such a personal manner keep it to your journal or, as Natalie has suggested, start your own blog somewhere to discuss things of that nature. I do not want to sift and move, that shouldn't be necessary.

Yes, there are pieces of self-sufficiency advice buried in those personal threads, most likely ignored by many who don't bother to read the thread due to the overall subject matter.

Please think long and hard before posting personal information in any forum, you never know who is going to stumble upon it, there was an issue on BYC where someone posted a very personal thread and then asked that it be removed as a younger family member had a question she was going to post and she didn't want her to find the personal thread.

Let's get back to the purpose of Sufficient Self and share the knowledge we all have.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
I have observed that many on this forum don't even consider the SS advice gathered by some of the more experienced. If one is not part of the "in social group gossiping about family drama" the serious replies to SS questions are often glossed over or overtly attacked.
In my case I have nearly quit sharing any advice. With the exception of a small handful, most of the rest don't have my experience in many SS ways. Yes I'm blunt, but after months of reading, it is very true. The number of closed minds I find is sad.
I feel the same way (to an extent), I share little of what I think is important to the lifestyle I am trying hard to obtain (I have been involved in one post, (my own) which I stated I felt like good advice is being overlooked if not answered by a select few). I enjoy input from a vastly different crowd here on SS. So I hope everybody continues to submit relevant information to continue down this path we are all on. I answer a few of the personal ones, but try to avoid subjects that don't relate to the forum.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
This probably accounts for alot of the old members who use to post alot of valuable information no longer even come here anymore.
In fact I only check in here once or month or so now since I have to sort through the drama to get any good info. Sorry but its true.
I use to come here everyday but can go weeks without bothering, or if I do I look at the threads and leave without posting.
I am sure that is what many are doing now.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
As I recall, when the journals were first added to the board, people were just posting on the journals and no where else on the forum. I'm glad people are still posting helpful ideas and tips in the areas they belong.

The journals do give us an opportunity to expand a conversation that might be considered "off topic" or "hijacking a thread", IMO.

I do enjoy the wealth of knowledge that everyone contributes, even if it doesn't apply to me at this point in my life. The ability to learn from, share, question, disagree with, and celebrate our similarities and differences is what makes this a good board. There aren't any experts in life... we just share our pieces of the puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.