mrbstephens - Dare To Live The Dream - WE MOVED!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When I was a kid I had a black Old English bantam hen that used to ride around on my shoulder like a pirate's parrot. :lol: Pet chickens are the best! :D

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today we joined our homeschool group for a program about weather at the local aquarium. So glad DS had lots of friends there today and DD finally has a friend she really likes in the group. Social interaction really is so important. DS knew almost every answer to every question. Homeschooled kids do not for the most part raise their hands, wait in lines, or sit in circles. Even if asked. I had to remind DS to give the others a chance to answer some of the questions too though I really was quite proud of my brainiac.

This evening while putting DD down for the night I heard a raccoon outside in the yard calling. Heard it last night too, but wasn't sure about what I was hearing till I heard it again tonight. Good thing the hen house was built by my very talented DH the woodworker. That thing is locked up tight!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DD has been taking ballet/tap classes on Saturdays. She LOVED this class! She did all the steps with a big smile on her face. Suddenly, out of no where she decided she no longer wanted to participate. After much discussion she decided she wanted to take a break from class. Suddenly this morning DD wakes up and says we need to get up and hurry to dance class! She said, "Mom, if it happens again, DON'T PANIC." So we went and she did a fabulous job! It was like she never left. That girl amazes me!

We had a touch of warm weather yesterday and the day before. We spent most of the day outside. The kids played in the mud while I attempted to put up some wire fencing for a chicken area. They were all over the yard this winter pooping like crazy everywhere and it's now really disgusting! A few times they took cover in the play house or sandbox when they got caught in a snow storm and I'm sure you can guess what it looked like afterward. :sick So I had to hose out the playhouse and dig out the sandbox. I'm going to have to fence off a portion of the yard for them so they can't do that again, but alas, the ground is still frozen and I couldn't get the stakes in.

Our house has been on the market since last June. Our dream to live on a small homestead. Right now we have not even 1/2 acre and absolutely no privacy. We looked into the possibility of relocating and narrowed it down to Maryland. We visited and looked at some property, but in the end it just wasn't Long Island, by the water and we would miss that terribly. So now we've had our eye on a 3.3 acre parcel on the north fork of Long Island. We need to sell before we can buy which makes this whole thing very tricky. We had a deal on the sale of our house last summer but it fell through because the inspector found a little mold in the attic. We offered to redo the roof, but it wasn't good enough for the buyer. In the meantime we had agreed on a price on the acreage we want to buy, but now we can't do anything about it. Very frustrating! Spring is coming and real estate is picking up just a bit around here. We're getting ready to do the roof and finish remodeling our kitchen. Hopefully this will get the house sold. We also have to work hard on getting back on track financially. With DH unemployed for those 3 months we had become extremely delinquent on bills, but never our mortgage payments. We've decided to try this whole thing one more year and if it doesn't work after that we'll just have to make due with what we have. SIGH........

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Isn't that a wonderful feeling? Are you getting the wind now?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I live in SJ, and got the same storm system.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had a nice day today! I was able to get the shovel in the ground! :weee
So, DS and I put up fence posts for a super big chicken run. I've been letting them free range, but they're pooping everywhere including in the playhouse and sandbox. :sick So now, they'll have a big area that will be fenced off in the back of the property. It won't have netting over the top, but they have a smaller run that is. For those times when I'm not around or if a hawk has been sighted.
So happy the ground has thawed! :ya

Latest posts