mrbstephens - Dare To Live The Dream - WE MOVED!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fenced in the chickens yesterday. It's a huge area.......50 ft x 15 ft plus the run they already had which is 15 x 20 for 10 hens. Man, they were pissed at me this morning when I opened the pop door. They were pacing back and forth for a while at the gate trying to figure out how to get out. After a while they forgot about it and went along with their normal pecking and scratching. This afternoon I rake up all the poop that accumulated on the lawn. :sick So glad be rid of it. And let me tell you, chickens and sandboxes just don't mix! This summer we'll be barefoot in the backyard again! :weee

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I got 8 eggs from my hens! That's the most I've ever collected in a day! I was looking for someone to sell 1 dozen to per week and my FIL is interested! I think I may be able to sell an additional dozen per week so may need another client. Around here we get $5 a dozen. So just selling to my FIL alone would almost pay for all their feed! WOOHOO! Cause right now, I have way too many eggs!!!

1222_img_1714.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Today I got 8 eggs from my hens! That's the most I've ever collected in a day! I was looking for someone to sell 1 dozen to per week and my FIL is interested! I think I may be able to sell an additional dozen per week so may need another client. Around here we get $5 a dozen. So just selling to my FIL alone would almost pay for all their feed! WOOHOO! Cause right now, I have way too many eggs!!!

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1222_img_1714.jpg
:thumbsup
Good luck on building the client base. I had some 6 count cartons that I used as a "free sample" to some of my friends, who quickly became customers.

The locals are down to $1.50 per dozen around here. I sell a little higher than that to my customers, but $5, wow!!!!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
mrbstephens said:

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1222_img_1714.jpg
:thumbsup
Good luck on building the client base. I had some 6 count cartons that I used as a "free sample" to some of my friends, who quickly became customers.

The locals are down to $1.50 per dozen around here. I sell a little higher than that to my customers, but $5, wow!!!!
My hen get organic feed and free range. I compared that to what the organic farms get locally and yes, $5. The organic eggs in the grocery store are $4.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW, $5.00!!! I have mine for sale for $2.00....free range brown...and can't sell them when the stores are selling "regular" eggs for $1.00. People around here are more into the price than the quality. I have 8 doz in the fridge, time to make something eggy for supper! :p

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's been a really long while since I posted on this thing. WE MOVED!!! Woohoo! :woot We're still in the same town, but now we have 1.75 lovely acres and live across the road from over 200 acres of preserved land with trails running through. Some trails lead to ponds filled with chirping frogs and another leads to the local park. We're also about a mile away from the beach! LOVE it here! I'm in the early stages of planning my vegetable/fruit garden. I'll take pictures and post them here and would love some ideas. :)

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like you may want to give your two cents on the gardening catogory discussion in the feedback section.

Latest posts