Mulberry and what? Need ideas, please!

robin850

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
an old arborist told me a recipe for mulberry liqueur, which i will be trying soon!

fill a quart jar with rinsed mulberries.
fill with vodka, be sure to cover all the berries.
seal the jar. shake.
place in a cool, dry location (root cellar or basement)
wait 1 month.
enjoy!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Now I don't know that I'm going to have enough mulberries to worry about it this year! I was just out checking the trees yesterday and they're a long way from being ready. A tree I transplanted (twig sized back then) is now the size of a bush, and it's just loaded. The huge, old tree? Nothing apparent. It's got all these weird little dry black thingies on it, so I wonder if our late frost got it.

The peach/mulberry jam sounds good. So does the mulberry liqueur. Okay, it all sounds good to me!

That was interesting about the loquat/mullberry jam. I wouldn't know a loquat if I saw one, but I've heard of them.

And did I welcome you to the SS forum yet? :D If you haven't introduced yourself over at the 'where are you' part of the forum, get to clicking!
When I visited my parents, all 12? or so mulberry trees on their property produced nothing, due to late frost.

I grew up laying down tarps, putting on the oldest clothes I had, and then shaking the trees. I would turn purple, but I always beat the birds, and had gallons of berries off each tree in a matter of minutes.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
stepstephens2 said:
I have been looking around for something to do with my mulberries, as well. I found this recipe for Mulberry Liqueur online and plan on trying it this year.
It seems really simple.

4 cups clean/dry mulberries
4 cups brandy
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water

Put brandy and mulberries in a jar & cover. Seal and store in a sunny window for 2 months. After 2 months put sugar and water in a saucepan and heat until it dissolves. Pour sugar syrup into the liqueur, strain, & bottle.

I'm also thinking about making mulberry ice cream this year...
Yum..I do the with raspberries and cherries!

Latest posts