multi-purpose cleaner or countertop cleaner/disinfector

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since I developed an allergy to a chemical that's in most cleaning products (personal and household) among other things like gloves, printer ink and toilet paper, I started using vinegar to clean with. Just plain white vinegar, non-diluted. Yes, the smell dissolves quickly. My faucets have never looked so shiny!

I also use it to wash my clothes (cold water, vinegar in the "fabric softener" bowl) because it's anti-bacterial.

Thinking about adding tea tree oil to the vinegar because it's also anti-bacterial so that's an option, and I like other essential oils so who knows what the house will smell like this summer!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
This is purely speculation, I've never tried it -- but for those of you who dislike the smell of vinegar and have gotten accustomed to commercial cleaning products that are something-or-other scented, I wonder what would happen if you put some discarded lemon or orange peel in a jar of white vinegar for a few days or weeks before using that vinegar for cleaning.

It would be sort of like making a flavored vinegar for cooking with, only more from scraps than for culinary value, and probably with less sticky residue in the finished product.

Might be worth a try?

Pat, not going to try it myself b/c I *love* the smell of vinegar, even the acetic acid smell given off by curing silicone seal, so I'm weird, so sue me :p

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pat :sick with the smell of vinegar! I think I'll be a guinea pig and try what you suggested, except what I'm going to do is add the lemon peel or perhaps some lavender FO to the actual spray and let it sit there as opposed to directly adding it to the vinegar.

So...what's this? Vinegar is antibacterial? You people are so smart it kills me!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
From what I understand, yeah.

That's probably why pickled veggies last so long without being processed in a canner.

ETA: Of course, I could be wrong. My mind is kinda fried these days.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
From what I understand, yeah.

That's probably why pickled veggies last so long without being processed in a canner.

ETA: Of course, I could be wrong. My mind is kinda fried these days.
Vinegar "pickled" have to be canned. Fermentation style do not. They just have to be kept cold.

The tea tree oil in the recipes is the actual disinfectant.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lemon juice is actually a disinfectant as well, just not as strong as vinegar. For soap scum type stuff, you can take a chunk of lemon and dip it in salt and scrub away! Smells great too! Ive gotten big bottles of lemon juice at the dollar store before, not always an item they keep stocked tho.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm thinking about my laundry soap ... wonder if I could wash my clothes in cold water (as usual) but once the machine fills up, add a few drops of tea tree oil to the water? Wouldn't that get the clothes clean? Disinfected? I already use vinegar in the rinse cycle. I line-dry (inside tho) everything except underwear and towels (I like them soft).

And I wonder if I can somehow form baking soda into bars, maybe with salt and something 100% natural to bind them. No lye or napa or other soap. Gotta be something I can use! And then rinse my hair with water with vinegar and tea tree oil in it. Maybe some rose essential oils.

No suds which will probably take some getting used to, but at least I won't be allergic to it.

Thoughts?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Hair: baking soda to scrub and acv to rinse. Touch of conditioner in the ends. Tried without but I need it.... soda dissolves in warm water. I dump it over my hed and scrub scalp with fingers....

I use soda and coconut oil for toothpaste...

Will use washing soda and borax for clothes when my soap runs out...

I use vinegar to clean and will add tea tree oil...

Any one have a good recipe for dish drops?

Dishwasher is just equal parts baking soda and borax, right? Just used the last of my commercial soap today....

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good ideas, Abi.

About the dishwasher detergent: I've been using store-bought gelpacs but they aren't even getting my dishes clean. Could I just put baking soda in the little drawer? Maybe a few drops of tea tree oil in with it?

Will try baking soda next time I wash my hair. And my teeth.

Since I'm gonna be using a lot more baking soda, could I use the huge 50# bags from the feed store that is basically for livestock? It's about as cheap as a small 2-lb bag from the grocery.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
neewbie here, when you say washing soda to you mean "arm & hammer washing laundry soap" is this a dumb question? help I just want to make all these things....