Multimeter Inception

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
When you have to use your cheap multimeter to troubleshoot and fix your more expensive multimeter...

multimeter.jpg

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I only have cheap ones and discard them when they fail.
Ya, I have a bunch of the cheap ones too... but I like this one because it has a nice easy on/off switch, buzzer for continuity, rotating screen, 20A limit, etc., so it was worth it to try and give it a fix.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
It was so frustrating! I would be testing circuits, etc. and it was zeroed out... but turns out there was a flaky contact on the positive terminal that when moved just a TINY bit in the wrong direction it would connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect. REALLY great when you're trying to see if a circuit is hot, meter shows volts on a test circuit, then you move the meter, it shows zero, but then you discover the meter is lying to you!

Some troubleshooting and then re-soldering the terminal did the trick!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was so frustrating! I would be testing circuits, etc. and it was zeroed out... but turns out there was a flaky contact on the positive terminal that when moved just a TINY bit in the wrong direction it would connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect. REALLY great when you're trying to see if a circuit is hot, meter shows volts on a test circuit, then you move the meter, it shows zero, but then you discover the meter is lying to you!

I was taught to always work on live circuits with one hand behind you back. I guess it's a good practice to remember, so current doesn't cross your heart from one hand to the other.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Glad you got it fixed.

Latest posts