Murphysranch - Bank blues and garage sale thoughts

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been lurking for a couple of months, and feel that I have gotten to know so many of you thru your posts, even tho you didn't know me (yet)!

Hubby and I bought 7.5 acres in the Sierra Foothills about 3 years ago, and it took all that time to make the necessary arrangements to plan our move from Silicon Valley. We sold our home (took 6 months!) in August and moved up here full time. We've been living in a trailer while we've been building a home ourselves. We've been working on it off and on for two years now, and its finally coming to a completion now that we are up here full time.

My first agenda when we arrived in Aug was to purchase some chicks. I bought 8 Jersey Giants about a week old, and I LOVE those babies, even today as they are 4.5 months old. Wouldn't you know it, I got a perfect ratio of 50:50 > 4 hens and 4 roosters. Sheesh...we lost one rooster to something last month, but the others are thriving. Not sure what to do with two of the three roosters. (BBQ? Craigslist?)

The property came with a HUGE garden, fenced and supposedly wired against gophers. So I happily planted tomatoes and zucchini, only to find that the gophers got in and ate themselves silly. Plus my soil is just not made for growing anything but CA oaks and pines and manzanita. So I adopted a bunny, and his poo will someday make a difference, along with my compost pile!

DH is a painting contractor and will be looking to start over his business up here. I got laid off from my high tech job in July, and have been on COBRA and Unemployment. Unfort the UE just ran out, and I'm waiting for an extension. Also unfort, the Obama subsidy plan for my COBRA just out, so I'm searching for a med plan thats more affordable for us.

I love canning, cross stitch, dogs (got 4) and cats (got 2), gardening (planting and digging), and want to learn to knit and have time to read books again. After a career of travel, stressful responsible jobs and raising two kids, its time for ME!

Special hi to my fellow Californians whose stories I've been following as well.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ah yes... another hi tech refugee...welcome!! whoot!!! check out my journal to see how i gave the finger to the software co i was working for and escaped to The Good Land.

good luck!
:)

ps other than missing the pomegranate margaritas and lettuce wraps and E&O.. nope dont miss it at all
pss you should be able to file for the federal unemployment extension...

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
PF Changs Lettuce Wraps - yum...
E&O Trading Company? Is there a smidgen of a possibility that you mean this heaven sent restaurant? My first visit there was when I was being recruited for ricochet back in '99. I can still savor the curry, the rice mixtures, the naan....yummy yummy yummy...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The cool thing is the more good stuff you can grow, the less you will need that health care :D

Good luck with the cirtters. I have sold extra drakes on craigslist. If they don't sell, bbq is good too.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yes yes! the lettuce wraps at E&O!! did you ever have the corn fritters? ahh.. i can still taste them!

but now we just make our own with fresh corn and fry 'em in lard from the pigs! whoot!

wait...wait.. the curry.. (sniff sniff) i remember the curry!!! (wails and throws self down in a heap).....

(shakes it off)

oh well. having a hunk of the pork roast and savory bread pudding for supper. thats how we roll in the flyover
;-)

and hee hee hee WZ is right... after i ditched the corporate life i quit being a hypochondriac AND stopped being sick (for real) all the time.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey there! :frow & :welcome

Wish you the best in your new venture! :thumbsup

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
:welcome
Sounds like you moved to a part of the state I really love. I visited Dorrington a few time and my grandmother lived in Murphy for several years. If I didn't love sonoma county so much, I'd want to live in the Sierra foothill around Murphy. Just wait for the motorcycle invasion in May though. They come for the frog jumping contest :lol:
One year we were going to visit grandmother and here we were driving in our volvo sedan surrounded by bikers in their leather garb :ep :lol: It took us a long time to realize that we joined an annual migration. The frog jumping contest was fun though.
:gig

Latest posts