Murphysranch - Bank blues and garage sale thoughts

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a fun day in Stockton yesterday. A 1.5 hr drive to pick up our new tractor tire, go to Costco and to a furniture store that is hitting the old out of business skid. Our kubota tractor is only 2 yrs old, and we still have one more yr left to pay on it. The tire got rubbed a few too many times against rocks and concrete (we were breaking up lots of concrete), so the seam split. Nobody locally could fix it or put a tube in it. So we ordered a new one, took it to a truck tire place and 45 min later and $10 bucks, we now have a new tire.

Costco: some of you mentioned that C has the yeast and bread flour. So I searched, and you were right! I got a 50 lb sack of bread flour for $12 something (King Arthur 5 lb is $5 something) and a huge package of yeast. Don't worry, I'll read your and the package instructions on how to reconstitute it properly. Time to dust off the break maker. I never tried to bake it in the oven, so that will be new.

You all mentioned also on how to sand down an old Lodge pot, and so hubby will find his small electric grinder with changable sanding pads for me.

I also need to season the new griddle on my new Jenn Air stove. Its brand new SS, and I've got to read the instructions. We bought a scratch and dent floor model, and I just recently found the instructions on line, printed them out, of how to take care of it.

I'm reading about your storms. Sheesh....I feel humbled that we have some lingering fog, and brrrrr.....low 50's cold. I know - a CAKE WALK!

Bundle up friends!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome

I envy your escape from the rat race! I'm still stuck in it down here in L.A.

Regarding your medical care issues, back before I was in a corporate job I used Kaiser, which was pretty affordable, although there are some downsides to it (using only Kaiser doctors, etc.) It might be worth looking into. Good luck!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been a Kaiser member for years and years, off and on. Its a great system BUT you do have to self manage. I immediately checked into them, and I'm out of their coverage area. Their nearest is Stockton, a 1.5 hr drive. Sigh....Thanks for the suggestion tho. Keep em coming!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your move. I am excited to see it's still possible to find land in Ca. I will need to map quest were you are. I have an uncle in Stockton. I drove through there once on the way to Klamath Ca.

Well I can relate to your gopher problem. Mine has resulted in everything going in raised beds. Let me know if you find any good natural repellents.

have a great day,
gina

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went back down to Stockton again yesterday. I got gas at Costco for our truck (22 gal!), but wow...has gas gone up. We got gas there last Friday at $2.87 and on Monday it was $2.92. Five cents in 3 days. Sheesh.

I splurged inside Costco. I bought a bottle of some liquid to help me sleep at nite. I wake up every nite either due to animals (last nite Speedy the cat wanted out) or due to night sweats. Then it takes me maybe 2 hours or so to get back to sleep. I know that the wine I drink at night doesn't help the waking up in the wee hours of the morning. sigh....

I also bought a box of premade packets of the nasal cleanser. I've been considering a neti pot, but hubby was convinced by his friend that premade packs and a squeeze bottle are much more manley.

They also had boneless pork chops at $2.99/lb, with an automatic $4 off at checkout. I froze half the package, and we bbq'd the other last nite. Yummy, and I was surprised at how thick they were. Prob 3 - 3.5 inches thick. Too bad hubby overcooked them slightly.

I went to the Super Wal Mart. Their produce is so cheap vs the one grocery store around here (Savemart). Onions for 44 cents a pound, leaf lettuce for 1.49 and apples for 39 cents a pound. I also picked up 1 yard, 56" wide, of a gorgeous copper rust light sheen satin for $1.80. That and a packet of beaded trim will make a perfect valance for one of my bathrooms (which faces nobody). If you can believe they still had Xmas clearance, so I got some sparkley trim for 25 cents each, 8 velveteen huge bows with long tails for 25 cents each, and some plastic light holders for hanging over your gutters for 50 cents for a box of 36.

On a positive note about sharing, a new friend whom I considered dropping cus she only takes, takes, takes called last nite. She was willing to sell me some of her 1/2 cow she bought for only a dollar more per lb than she paid for it. (WTH?). I declined nicely, and then offered to allow her to use my upper freezer for storing some of the meat, and promised not to touch it. Its our beverage refrigerator, which I've been wanting to turn off to save electricity, but now I've offered up its use to her. Sometimes I'm too damn nice for my own good.

Well, as many of you are ensconced in gorgeous pristine snow, its raining here today. The CA oaks and my new landscaping ($2.50 plants from Home Depot) are drinking long and good.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think you should rent her the freezer space. Either she pays for the electricity she is using with money or beef, let her decide. :p

That rain is heading our way. I think we are maybe going to catch the tail end tomorrow. Then more due on Sun/ Mon right???

I shopped at the one Super WM in our area once. It wasn't really that super. Prices were high and selection very limited. In our area groceries and health food stores are everywhere. I guess that is reflected in the prices.

I did however go to cost co today and notice coffee less. I bought my 3lb Folgers for under 8 bucks a bucket. Whoo hoo!!!

Have a great day!!

gina

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really don't like shopping at Walmart - but they are less costly than others around here.

BTW - Welcome Murphysranch - just found your journal. I'll be watching for updates.