Mushroom farming

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
My first ever mushroom harvest :woot :woot :woot

I picked 5 portabellas that collectively weighed in over one pound!
We had a couple for dinner, broiled and stuffed. The largest was a bit over five inches across. I am actively working on an appropriate compost to keep the fungi going after the kit is done. I have read a lot and understand so much more now about growing mushrooms!

916192.jpg

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, those look incredible and yummy! Sounds like you are well on your way to cultivating a mushroom business. Good luck and let us know how the home made compost works out. :thumbsup :celebrate
* Oh and I am so ordering a kit!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Nice work, Zenbirder! This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Those look delish! :)

I'm planning to innoculate my compost with three different types of mycelia, but after reading what you wrote, I'm wondering if I should innoculate the finished compost instead of the pile of stuff that is actively composting. Any suggestions? I think instructions came with my kit, but hubby ran off with the whole thing, so I'm clueless. Thanks in advance for any tips you can throw my way! :D

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I am only sort-of-well-read about the portobello and white button mushrooms. For those types, do not inoculate the compost right away! A few thoughts for now:
1. The mushrooms actually live off of the bacteria bodies that did the composting. Composting produces ammonia that is toxic to the mushroom growth. The ammonia must be broken down by more bacteria before the mushroom body can grow. If there is any ammonia smell don't inoculate.
2. There are a lot of special steps given in the huge book I am reading, but they are primarily geared to bigger growers. The key point of all the steps is to make sure the mushrooms can out compete bacteria, molds and other fungi.
3. Pasteurizing the compost seems reasonable, and I will try to do it. I will post more later as I try it out.
4. Add gypsum to your compost if you are working on it at this stage. I am having a terrible time locating any right now!
5. Heat will kill the spoor. If the compost is generating much heat as it decomposes it is too soon to put the spoors in.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
That is good information, thank you! I am curious what gypsum does though?

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
According to the book:
1. Gypsum improves the physical structure of the compost by causing aggregation of colloidal particles. This produces a more granular, open structure which results in larger air spaces and improved aeration.
2. To increase water holding capacity, while decreasing the danger of over-wetting.
3. To prevent and counteract a greasy condition caused by high K, Mg, P and Na elements.
4. To supply the calcium necessary for mushroom metabolism.

They recommend 50 to 100 lbs. per ton of dry compost ingredients.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
That is interesting.

From what I can tell gypsum is calcium sulfate, and it is sold at garden centers, along with lime as soil ammendments. Have you tried looking for it in your local garden center?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has an old bag of it in a cobwebby corner somewhere. Oh well. Maybe eggshells would be a good substitute for calcium/aeration? I don't know, just a thought.