Mushroom Hunting....???

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Went back out today...got about a pound and a half of "pecker heads" Yummy!!!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'd love to learn how to safely get wild mushrooms.

Hubby will forage for other stuff, but Not for mushrooms. He used to get them when he was young. Then once he thought he had a patch of steak puffballs. He'd grown up eating the puffballs, but trusted his memory and didn't double check it with the books.

He ate some but it was actually an Death Angel. He was hospitalized for a week and lucky he lived at all. Always double check your shrooms.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The only mushrooms I know of are the ones my dad used to hunt... Buttons and Morels. He always used to say that if there was evidence that bugs were eating a mushroom they were safe for us to eat. Just an old wives tale or true fact?
I suspect that even if it were true it would not give any hint as to the flavor. :sick

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
How do you confuse a death angel with a puffball? I thought they looked completely different...
Evidently young Death Angels look similar to a puffball and he was so used to puffballs from when he was growing up that he didn't do all the checklist. Big Ooooopps !

He took some of them to the hospital with him so they would be sure what to treat. That was a good move at least.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The only shroom I know to pick safely are morels and boletes. Sadly, I casn't find either of them in my neck of the woods. Another reason I miss thenorth.