Must.Have.Water.Kefir.Grains!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okay the grains went ino the mail today. I had to declare them, so hopefully no problems.

To the three who requested them, and any one else who wants some, it cost me $5.85 to mail them.

I'll pm you three with paypay info. Hope you get them soon and enjoy them!!!!!!!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got them!! :weee :celebrate
They look to be in fine condition and smell yeasty. Off to figure out the next step.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Received mine today too -DH just called and asked what he was supposed to do with them because they're hot.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you'll probably have to put them in a fairly heavy sugar water solution, might take a few days to get them really going. I had the same problem, hubby left them in the van after getting the mail...:rolleyes: I didn't get mine from MTN, but I'm sure kefir all reacts the same way!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Mamaluv321, do you have more detailed directions on what you did? How many cups water and how much sugar? Thanks! Also, should they go in the fridge to cool them down or just on the counter?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
shoot! I forgot all about these! Will get the payment off in a bit....need to run to the PO as well...

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night after opening the mail I did some online reading and figured the grains needed fed. I drained them and put the grains in a cup of filtered water with 2 tablespoons (or a tad less) of sugar. They are in a glass quart jar with lid on my counter. Good or bad decision??? :hu You think I should wait at least 48 hours to start a batch of kefir water? I don't know what it is even supposed to taste like when ready. :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Last night after opening the mail I did some online reading and figured the grains needed fed. I drained them and put the grains in a cup of filtered water with 2 tablespoons (or a tad less) of sugar. They are in a glass quart jar with lid on my counter. Good or bad decision??? :hu You think I should wait at least 48 hours to start a batch of kefir water? I don't know what it is even supposed to taste like when ready. :/
The standard recipe tastes like hard lemonade when its ready.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'll get back to you all later on tonight with ore info ont hem. I gotta run now, but Becca, you did good. They will need some sweetener like molasses or unfefined sugar in order for the grains to grow (but NOT honey), so stir in a drop or two of molasses. I'll be back later. Glad yougot them!!